|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 30, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT for HEALTH EXPERT
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger was founded in 1979 as an international non-governmental organization that fights against hunger in the world. Our mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through preventing, detecting and treating undernutrition, especially during and after emergencies related to conflicts and natural disasters.
The international network of Action Against Hunger has offices in France, United Kingdom, Spain, Canada, USA, India and Belgium. Teams in the field combat hunger on four fronts:
Nutrition and Health, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS).
About Action Against Hunger - USA
As the world’s hunger specialist, our primary goal is to create a better way to deal with hunger. For more than 40 years, we led the global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. With 7,500+ staff, our teams have been on the front lines, treating and preventing malnutrition across more than 45 countries, assisting more than 21 million people.
We save the lives of children and their families. We are there for them before and after disaster strikes. We enable people to provide for themselves, see their children grow up strong, and for whole communities to prosper. We constantly search for more effective solutions, while sharing our knowledge and expertise with the world. We push for long-term change.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1985 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategic approach where Nutrition and Health, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) are integrated in order to maximize impact on people’s resilience.
Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions with an anticipated 2020 yearly portfolio of $20M of emergency and resilience building programs, research and innovation. We have a country team of about 550 staff working out of 18 field offices and sub offices across Ethiopia.
Our main donors in Ethiopia are ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, OFDA, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, UNICEF and others.
General Assignments / Scope of the Role:
The Health Expert under the direct supervision of the Head of Department for Nutrition and Health, provides technical support to Action Against Hunger-Ethiopia mission in the operationalization of mainly health programs, provides capacity building to the nutrition and health staff under the department, assists in the development of a country strategy, coordinates with the Head of Department in the designing and formulation of health and nutrition related projects, liaises with various focal points at the Ministry of Health, Ethiopia and regional health bureaus with a focus on building partnerships and the mission’s portfolio on Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child Health (RMNCH) programs, coordinates with project partners and stakeholders for efficient management and functioning of health programs and projects in the mission.
He/she will spend at least 25%-to-50% of time in the field and depending on the need and humanitarian response, it could be up to 80%. He/She is also expected to collaborate with the nutrition expert and other thematic area technical advisors based in capital office, with nutrition program managers, nutrition and health supervisors, field coordinators based in field level to ensure existence of functional and viable programmatic as well as operational coordination and integration between all Action Against Hunger programs (Nutrition and Health, WASH, FSL, MHPSS and MEAL).
The Health Expert role’s purpose, engagement and delivery is:
Objective 1: Purpose
The Health Expert is responsible for Design, develop, implement and evaluate health actions and programs.
- Collaborate with Technical Advisors and other technical people to develop final consolidated budget
- Ensure the appropriate budget proposal template is used
- Preparing budget proposal templates and modifying existing templates to meet the demands of solicitations if any
- Ensure required information are shared with Technical Advisors and Head of Departments ahead of time
- Inform the coordinator of the proposal of due dates for the submission of budget information or activity budget
- Advise to Technical Advisors in formulating their budget proposals
- Ensure the organization’s budget proposed adheres to legal regulations of the legislative and donor
- Advise and assist program and support staffs involved in the proposal development on eligibility and compliance issues related to budgeting
- Review activity budgets for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with laws and other regulations
- Ensure country office administrative costs are logically distributed among different grants
- Combine all the program and department budgets together into a consolidated organizational budget and review all funding requests for merit
- Reach out partners for all required information and inputs for the budget development whenever required
- Propose enhancements to the budget proposal
- Review the budget proposal for calculation errors
- Preparing budget narratives/justifications
- Present the final version of a consolidated budget for management approval
- Developing cost-related responses to post-submission questions/requests for revisions
Objective 2: Engagement
The Health Expert is responsible to Foster External coordination, representation and communication in the field of Health
- Participate in and become member of TWGs in various sectoral and cluster based health coordination meetings.
- Participate and represent Action Against Hunger as technical health expert and focal point in sectoral and cluster based health coordination mechanisms and task force meetings such as Health Cluster Coordination meetings, NGO health forums, UN and MoH sector and budget work planning sessions in close communication with the HoD for Nutrition and Health.
- Regularly and timely communicate to the HoD, thematic technical advisors, program managers, nutrition and health supervisors on standard operating procedures (SOPs), revised national strategies, guidelines, joint statements and recommended action plans related to health programs.
- Produce and share sectoral and cluster based weekly and monthly health updates/ reports to respective coordinators and focal points as per standard guidelines and templets timely and in quality manner.
- Ensure validation of the technical parts of protocols, SOPs and MoU with local health authorities, partners and other organizations (MoH, RHBs, ENCU, WHO, UNICEF, UNHCR, WFP, Other donors etc.) when needed and ensure their consistency across all areas of operations.
- Participate in the collection of health program data from formal or informal meetings and platforms to inform the health needs in the country and in the mission, and propose actions (assessments, surveys, program implementation) accordingly.
- Advocate for implementation of high impact health strategies as well as interventions, generate prove of concepts and evidenced that could serve as an input for policy change and adaptation at national level.
Objective 3: Reporting /Delivery
The Health Expert is responsible for Overall management of the Health researches, Survey, Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) activities:
- Produce and submit periodic project update reports in line with standard donor templets and timelines and ensure that reports are Sex and Age Disaggregated Data (SADD) sensitive.
- Review and compile monthly health/RMNCH project APRs, provide timely feedback to nutrition program managers and make follow up on areas of improvement.
- Ensure the quality of health program data and utilization of it for internal programming, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation purposes.
- Participate in the development and review of best practices, lessons learned and documentations on health programs and projects and ensure that all are reflected in progressive learning agendas and project designing exercises.
- Support MEAL team in system development, planning exercise and implementation activities.
- Participate and support in health data quality assurance and Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) initiatives together with MEAL team.
- Provide support in the identification and articulation of health research, survey and assessment needs within and outside Action Against Hunger operation areas.
- Together with the HoD and MEAL team ensure that all health program surveys, assessments and evaluations passed through relevant reviews and approval stages by various actors.
- Participate and collaboration with key governmental authorities (MoH) and other relevant groups (e.g. Academic institutes, nutrition agencies and other INGOs) during health researches, surveys, assessments and evaluations.
- Together with MEAL team, ensure that the research, survey, assessments and evaluation methodologies (sampling, questionnaires, etc.) and ethical considerations are used in the field are in line with defined approaches and protocols validated by relevant actors including academic institutes, EFDA, EPHI and MoH.
- Together with the MEAL team, act as a focal point for the dissemination of health information and research findings from surveys, researches, evaluations and assessments.
- Coordinate with MEAL team on appropriate health research and survey data analysis, result interpretation, timely internally and external validation, report writing and dissemination at national and sub national level.
- Conduct health program MEAL activities as requested by the HoD.
Coordinate within the Action Against Hunger team and provide technical support and management to the Nutrition and Health team
- Ensure adherence to and standard practices of health projects in line with national guidelines, protocols and SOPs in all operational areas by all nutrition and health staff.
- Responsible to technically support health programming in Action Against Hunger Ethiopia mission in close coordination with the HoD.
- Collaborate and communicate with technical and support advisors, program managers, DCD, CD, and any other Action Against Hunger resource persons in order to ensure the coherence of activities and reports.
- Informing/updating the HoD on assessment/survey implementation and any issues on a regular basis.
- Support and monitor the consistent applications of standard operating procedures (SOPs), revised national health strategies and policy, guidelines, joint statements and recommended action plans related to health programmes by all base staff.
- Participate in regular Grant Review and APR Meetings and provide updates on project implementation progresses and suggest and take doable action points to ensure timely and effective completion of health projects.
- Participation in departmental coordination team meetings and in other general team or strategy meetings.
- Follow up of logistics requirements for routine health project activities, including health supply procurement, undertaking of health surveys in liaison with the logistics department and in collaboration with HoD, program managers as well as field coordinators.
- Provide periodic health project progress updates to HoD and collectively review project progress and produce progressive plan of actions based on the findings of the exercise.
- Guide and technically assist Health care workers, program managers, and nutrition and health supervisors in preparation of project plans, organizing various high impact health trainings, periodic reports, budget management and preparation of project related documents.
- Support HoD in preparing, organizing and documenting health project documents, including project (grant) proposal, master beneficiaries and BoQ for each base.
- Provide capacity building trainings for government and project health staff on revised health guidelines and protocols.
- Provide regular post training follow up support and technical assistance to program managers and nutrition and health supervisors as well as government health program supervisors.
- Capacitate field team on skill based analysis and interpretation of health program data, reviewing APRs and providing timely feedbacks, and proposing recommendations when necessary.
- Support and ensure that health supplies and commodities such as essential medicines, medical equipment and supplies are available in all Action Against Hunger bases and supply chain management is properly monitored to ensure continuity of essential health services in all operational areas.
Country Office: Ethiopia
Work Base: Addis Ababa with 25%-to-50% travels to intervention areas
Availability: As Soon As Possible
Salary and other benefits: Gross salary ETB 42,600 to ETB 52,186
Insurance - (Life, Group Personal Accident and Medical Insurances are covered upon the organization policies).
Seniority Allowance – paid depending up the years of service.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- University degree in doctor of medicine (Mandatory); preferably with Masters of Public Health (MPH) from recognized university/college.
- At least 5 years of practical experience on designing, implementing, leading and evaluating high impact Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH) programmes.
- Experience in managing RMNCH projects or grants funded by major donors USAID, DIFD, GAC, UNICEF etc.
- Good knowledge in drugs and medical supplies management with practical exposure to Integrated Pharmaceutical Logistics and Supply Management System (IPLS).
- Exposure to Health and Health related research initiatives.
- Having a better understanding and exposure to the national Maternal and Child Health progressive agendas, Health Service Quality, Health System as well as Primary Health Care Service provision modalities.
- Practical exposure to and participation in national RMNCH coordination platforms and Technical Working Groups (TWGs).
- Having practical experience working in INGOs is preferable.
Required Skills & Competencies
- Strong communication.
- Networking and representation skill.
- Good strategic and analytical abilities.
- Embracing Diversity, Self-Awareness and Self-Regulation, good experience in staff management and capacity building.
- Desirable project management skill.
- Quality report writing skill and capable of working in team. Knowledge and practical skill on applicable computer software such as Epi info, SPSS, Stata, ENA, MS Offices is added advantage;
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Amharic and preferably with other local languages.
If you are interested, please send your application composed of none returnable CV, Covering Letter with “Health Expert” written in the subject line, and three references, applicants to the following addresses:
Directly In Person to Action Against Hunger Addis Ababa office after Washington DC square to Mayor Muriel Bowser Street, Wollega – Gimbi, Gambella, Waghimra – Sekota, Harergue - Harar, Borena – Yabello and Somali Gode offices,
Deadline: Thursday, 10 September 2020 before 5:00 pm
NB: Only short listed applicants will be, communicated on and selection process includes technical test and an interview.