|Location||Gorodola (Guji-Oromiya) EastImi & Berano(Somali) Alle & Kenna (SNNPR), Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 9, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
This position is Contingent
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We help people overcome poverty and conflict. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives. To grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions. During our 34-year history, our work has improved more than 170 million lives in more than 115 countries around the world. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Health Officer
Duty Station: Gorodola (Guji-Oromiya) EastImi & Berano(Somali) Alle & Kenna (SNNPR)
Program / Department Summary
The project is intended to reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with under nutrition and increased illnesses of conflict induced communities who do not have access to primary health care services and basic nutrition services.
General Position Summary
The position holder shall be in charge of leading, technical quality implementation and delivery of the mobile health and Nutrition services in the assigned woreda. S/He will mainly be responsible for the daily implementation of medical consultation and treatment, management of SAM cases, outreach EPI, health education, sanitation, Maternal health services and child health as per the existing guideline. She/He will be responsible for the daily implementation of mobile health and Nutrition services package as per the standard, supporting health facilities assigned as integrated mobile health & Nutrition modality and daily dispensary and drug supply management. S/He will also be responsible for day-to-day documentation of children and adults treated, people receiving health education, vaccinated children, screened children and mothers, children admitted to OTP, and all services provided accordingly and compile weekly and monthly reports and share with health and nutrition coordinator
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
· Collaborate with other team member for effective integration between other services like Nutrition and health services
· Collaborate with Local authorities and other partners to harmonize different efforts for better impact and sustainability.
· Able to learn and update his/ her information or knowledge to adapt the changing situation and context
· Provide basic health and nutrition services including Medical consultation and treatment, community IMNCI/ICCM, safe motherhood, emergency services, referral, health education, EPI as per Somali RHB Mobile health and nutrition guideline
· Responsible for overall planning, implementation and M&E of mobile Health and nutrition activities in the assigned woreda.
· Coordinate and facilitate implementation of mobile health and Nutrition activities, site selection and prepare weekly movement plan.
· Facilitate essential drugs, supplies and therapeutic products for the team and the selected health facilities
· Facilitate training, closely work with MOH staffs at Health posts, Health center and hospital and district level.
· Organize daily, weekly and monthly over view and reports of common cause of morbidity, mortality, EPI, health education and consultations through using mobile Health and nutrition standards.
· Ensure referral system and linkage between services and with the health facilities
· Adherence to medical and nutritional treatment protocols and procedures for children and infants.
· Provide onsite training to HEW and nurses.
· Ensure Job aids are available in Health posts (HEW quick reference, Look up table, report format, tally sheet, Plumpnut and drug stock control balance form)
· Mentoring and assist HEW in decision of patients who are at severe risks and need to be transferred to nearby hospital
· Receive weekly reports from HEW at weekly basis, cross check the completeness and accuracy and submit to Woreda Project officers.
· Participate in capacity building training, in health education sessions and BCC application
· Follow up absentees/defaulters and keep current record of both beneficiaries and the staff (CHAs, volunteers).
· Work any tasks assigned by the line manager and the organization.
· Be directly responsible for the technical guidance for Midwifery and clinical nurse to provide standardized mobile health services.
· Providing technical support for MC mobile and zonal/ woreda government health staffs on the provision of comprehensive primary health care services and support the coordination between the mobile health team with the static services providers through strong communication and referral linkage and follow up.
· Closely work with midwifery nurses, clinical nurse and other nutrition teams in planning the implementation of the local capacity building activities
· Provided formal and on job training and supportive supervision for Mercy corps woreda level staffs and government health workers.
Finance & Compliance Management
Influence & Representation
· Liaise with concerned government authorities and ensure the programme strategy, objectives and activities are understood, agreed and appropriate communication channel is in place
· Participating in the Zonal/ Regional health and Nutrition Technical Working Group meetings, develop meeting agendas, documentation and dissemination of the technical working group meetings action point and recommendations.
· Liaise and coordinate with local stakeholders and MoH personnel regularly, reporting to them and giving them updates on activities.
· Collaborate with the potential partners on the field (health centres, health posts, committee leaders) to improve the coverage and the efficiency of the programs.
· Collaborate with partners where possible (e.g. UNICEF and WHO in nutrition/health assessments in the area that may have an impact on our programs).
· Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
· Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
· As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps.
Knowledge and Experience
- BSC in Public health or Nursing, with Minimum four years working experience in NGOs environment as MHNT out of which two years in clinical setup.
- Solid technical skill on case management of childhood and adult illness, safe motherhood
- Knowledge and experience in management of medical complications of severely malnourished children and IMNCI/ICCM.
- Demonstrated skills in program planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Ability to lead mobile teams and able to create good team sprit among the group.
- Strong computer (Microsoft skills), and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Good command in written and spoken English and Local language.
- Good human relation skills.
- Willingness to work under pressure and extra hours
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in closely working with regional, Zonal and Woreda Health
- Ability to prepare program reports Knowledge in local language;
- Communication skill, good human relations
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 18 September 2021/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address:
Note: Please make sure that you mention the position title in the subject line of your email application.
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974
Gambella Merc Cops Office: in person