|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 24, 2021|
|Category|| Social Sciences |
|Job Type|| Contract |
|Hotline Operator (Tigrigna & Amharic Speaker)|
|Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
Type of Appointment:
|Special Short Term (Daily/On call)|
Estimated Start Date:
|As soon as possible|
|2 September 2021|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the current circumstance in Ethiopia, currently, there is a heavy influx of ex-combatants who will require assistance to reintegrate into communities after long periods in exile. Hence, to secure sustainable and peaceful reintegration of the ex-combatants having returned to their communities IOM along with the Government of Ethiopia is going to implement a Social and Economic Reintegration of ex-combatants and Conflict-Affected Groups in Ethiopia (SERE).
Under the overall supervision of the Emergency & Post-Crisis (EPC) National MEAL Officer and the direct supervision of Feedback and Learning Assistant, the successful candidate will support the operation of EPC Hotline by receiving and recording complaints on SERE and Emergency projects and communicating responses given to complaints and feedback. In particular, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Responsible for handling incoming phone calls from Ex-combatants, IDPs, Host community, and Returnees through dedicated Hotline.
- Regularly register complaints and feedback received by the appropriate category in the provided forms and platform.
- Forward the cases to the concerned sectors/bodies, follow up for timely response and provide feedback to callers after complaints and feedback are addressed.
- Provide information for Ex-combatants, IDPs, host communities, and Returnees to get services using FAQ sheet and respond to questions/ inquires in a timely manner.
- Organize and share the updated summary report from the call center on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Uphold UN/IOM code of conduct during EPC-Hotline operation and ensure that all persons of concern are treated with dignity and respect, in accordance with humanitarian principles and human rights standards.
- Keep information about callers (Ex-combatants, IDPs, Host community & Returnees) with confidentiality.
- Assist MEAL team in updating, maintaining, and expanding Hotline network, resources, and databases.
- Participate in regular meetings such as staff meetings, debriefings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or related to AAP and when needed.
- University Degree in Social Science and Humanities Study or another relevant field is required.Required Experience
- A minimum of 3 years of experience on Accountability to Affected Population (AAP), Community Development especially within humanitarian emergency or post-emergency contexts, with a good understanding of grass-root community/affected population.
- Experience with similar roles for tasks of a similar nature to this assignment.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively and persuasively present information in a variety of settings and formats.
- Familiar with human rights and protection principles.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, with proven experience in Word and Excel.
- Experience working in NGO.
- Thorough knowledge of spoken & written Tigrigna and Amharic is required.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of other local languages is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, by 2 September 2021 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!