|Location||Jimma, Oromia, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 18, 2021|
|Category|| Legal |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Internal and External Vacancy
Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is looking for qualified candidates to fill the following position.
Purpose of the Job:
Conduct the day-to-day monitoring activities related to Human Rights in the different sectors and at different levels, for the promotion and protection of Persons with disabilities and older person rights. In addition the role will be responsible to assist in the development and implementation of advocacy and campaign strategies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the design and implementation of strategies aiming at enhanced promotion and protection of persons with disabilities and older person rights through regular and continuous monitoring and reporting;
- Conduct monitoring on selected institutions to assess whether their policies and procedures are in compliance with international and regional human rights standards and produce reports with concrete remedial recommendations.
- Conduct fact-finding missions and investigation into human rights abuses, including systemic human rights violation on Persons with disabilities and older person, including through close cooperation with relevant stakeholders, human rights actors and the community with the aim at promoting and protecting their human rights or seeking remedial actions by relevant authorities to prevent similar violations from occurring in the future;
- Ensure, coordinate and supervise the timely entry of accurate and verified human rights cases related to Persons with disabilities and older person rights into an established database;
- Contribute to and/or draft various human rights reports, communications, briefing notes, statement or other products;
- Conduct quality control, follow up on recommendations forwarded by relevant international and regional human rights bodies, by EHRC; and deliver statistics and trend reports as required;
- Collaborate with team members and establish and maintain contacts with technical staff of government and non-governmental institutions, civil society organizations, UN agencies, private sector, development partners and other partners focusing on monitoring of Persons with disabilities and older person rights.
- Conduct mapping of stakeholders and set up referral system to provide support to Persons with disabilities and older person who suffered human rights violation and are in need of support;
- Collaborate with international and regional human rights system in general and more specifically in relation to Persons with disabilities and older person to follow up on recommendations and regular reporting on the human rights situation of Persons with disabilities and older person to relevant international and regional human rights treaty bodies;
- Assist in conducting capacity-building activities on relevant human rights and in developing and implementing training programmes;
- Ensure mainstreaming of Persons with disabilities and older person rights as relevant in other EHRC’s activities and programming;
- Ensure the integration of gender perspectives, with specific attention to issues related to women and girls, including gender based violence;
- Participate in investigation of cases of human rights violations involving Persons with disabilities and older person as needed;
- Work with the Director to develop advocacy and campaign plan and engagement strategy on priority human rights issues;
- Conduct awareness raising and campaigns on Persons with disabilities and older person rights to ensure adherence to national and international protection standards and guidelines;
- Communicate with and influence a range of external stakeholders and advocacy targets including relevant authorities in the basis of identified gaps for the effective promotion and promotion of Persons with disabilities and older person rights;
- Keep the Director informed with regular detailed and accurate reports on progress and hurdles of monitoring works conducted by the Team.
- Perform additional assignments and delegations given by the Director.
LOCATION: Jimma Branch Office
REPORT TO: Director, Disability and Older Persons Rights
DURATION: Open/indefinite contract
SALARY RANGE: Gross monthly salary of ETB 19,157.00- ETB 22,817.00 plus ETB 6,000.00 housing allowance and ETB 1,500.00 transport allowance, depending on candidates qualification, experience and earning history
Qualifications and Experience:
- MA in Human Rights Law, International Law, or LLB.
- Candidates who doesn’t have Law or Human Rights Studies but with exceptional experience can be considered.
- 4 years of relevant experience for BA and 2 years of relevant experience for MA
- Knowledge of Amharic and English is required; Knowledge of other local languages is advantageous.
- Computer literate.
Interested candidates should write a covering letter, explaining why they are interested in this role, why they are the right person for the job with a recent CV which should be sent to the following email address: HRM@ehrc.org.
Please include the name of the position on the subject of the email.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview and written exam