|Location||West Harareghe, Oromia, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 7, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
I. Job Summary
The Humanitarian project officer – Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (WASH) and will support planning and implementation efforts for humanitarian projects under their direct supervision of the project team leader. S/he will provide management and technical support to project staff, monitor progress against plans and report against agreed schedules. The post holder will ensure the project receives technical and operational support to ensure quality programming and intended impact. S/he will support documentation of learning for wider organizational use and will support partnerships and accountability measures at the implementation level.
- Ensure that planning and implementation of the project activities are in accordance with the program principles, approaches, and procedures of the organization
- Direct implementation of the emergency WASH project activities in the assigned project areas
- Support the development of a detailed implementation plan (DIP) in accordance with the project proposal
- Conduct monthly field trips, and undertake periodic reviews to follow up on the status of project implementation against DIP
- Support project staff in the timely identification of implementation challenges and their resolutions with appropriate strategies
- Support the HRM/Team leader in the identification of required operational support (procurement, human resources, finance, and administration) and monitor the provision of such support
- Support communication with cooperating agencies and implementing partners on project progress, fund utilization and challenges
- Support the commodity team in the timely distribution of commodities per donor regulations
- Support the implementation of audit recommendations related to humanitarian projects
- Support HRM/Team Leader to ensure project compliance with all CARE policies and procedures (including all CI members and CARE Ethiopia) and donor rules and regulations
Job Responsibility #2: Program Quality Assurance (25%)
- Ensure that the project employs appropriate programmatic approaches based on project EPMTs, M&E frameworks and CARE’s programing principles and relevant guidelines
- Identify technical assistance requirements and work with the HRM /Team Leader and the WASH humanitarian program manager (HPM) to ensure the project receives the specific technical support it requires
- Utilize appropriate management tools and technical guidance in order to achieve intended impact
- Share relevant information with other CARE Ethiopia long-term development interventions being implemented in the same FO
- Participate in the implementation of audit recommendations related to humanitarian projects
- Develop appropriate reporting formats together with the HRM /Team Leader and LDM manager
- Collect, organize and summarize monthly and quarterly performance reports from project staff
- Monitor the quality and reliability of the reports collected from project staff
- Proactively develop and maintains a robust learning platform with all grassroots stakeholders and ensure that good practices are shared widely
- Prepare and maintain up to date information on the capacity building activities, results and community- based accountability systems of each operational area
- Collect basic information, best practices, case studies and lessons and report to her/his supervisor
- Assist in the preparation of project reports and documents per donor and/or CARE reporting schedules and formats
- Assist HRM/ Team Leader in the timely and quality submission of field reports to Head Office
- Supervise, coach and provide technical support to project staff
- Complete all CARE performance management activities including: performance planning, monitoring, and semi- annual and annual performance appraisals for direct reports
- Collaborate with the Humanitarian Response Manger (HRM)/ Team Leader and human resources (HR) to take appropriate personnel actions to address problems
- Support delivery of staff capacity development plans and related training
Job Responsibility #4: Partnership and accountability (10%)
- Ensure productive relationships are established and maintained with all kebele and village level stakeholders
- Closely work with government institutions, CBO’s and communities at kebele and village levels to ensure adequate linkages are established
- Ensure active participation of relevant humanitarian actors and structures in designing, planning, implementation and monitoring of projects (especially community members and government partners)
- Ensure all project events are well planned and known about by local stakeholders and concerned community members and beneficiaries
Job Responsibility #5: Financial Management (10%)
- Assist HRM /Team Lead to facilitate appropriate budget management and utilization in compliance with donor and CARE rules and regulations
- Support HRM/Team Leader to appropriately revise budgets as required
- Assist HRM /Team Leader in monthly monitoring of burn rates and identification of appropriate corrective action to address low/high burn rates
Job Responsibility #: Other (5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned
III. GENDER EQUALITY
- The Project Team Leader will be responsible for ensuring that gender equality and diversity values are upheld in the recruitment, orientation, performance assessment and management of staff.
- Provide adequate time to staff to participate in gender sensitivity workshops and related events.
- Three years for BSc degree or two years for post graduate Degree holders in environmental health, water supply and environmental engineering, Water Resource engineering, Hydraulic Engineering and relevant experience preferably with an NGO setting with the following competency
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in project management
- Have technical background and knowledge in environmental health and demonstrated work experience in water and sanitation in designing and implementing hygiene promotion/hygiene education programs
- Familiarity with relevant standards and guidelines for WASH in health facilities and community is a must.
- Proficiency in verbal and written English, budget planning and management, monitoring and evaluation, report writing
- Proficiency in standard office software package
- Good interpersonal communication skill and ability to effectively liaise with government, community leaders and other stakeholders
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Understanding of the importance of gender, youth and social inclusion
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of gender, equity, diversity, inclusion and PSHEA (safeguarding) through previous positions or programming experience
- Working knowledge of programming in humanitarian contexts
- Skills in organizing and facilitating training events
- Demonstrated experience in both emergency and development WASH response
- Strong experience of engineering and construction related project management and design of water schemes
- NGO Experience is a plus
- Knowledge of local languages
CARE Ethiopia is committed to preventing all unwanted behavior at work. This includes sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse. We expect everyone who works for us to share this commitment by understanding and working within the CARE Safeguarding Policy and related framework. CARE Ethiopia has a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a vulnerable adult or child by any of our staff, representatives or partners.
CARE Ethiopia reserves the right to seek information from job applicants’ current and/or previous employers about incidents of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment the applicant may have been found guilty to have committed or about which an investigation was in the process of being carried out at the time of the termination of the applicant’s employment with that employer.
By submitting the application, the job applicant confirms that s/he has no objection to CARE Ethiopia requesting the information specified above. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested to be part of our dynamic team, exciting work environment and contribute to CARE Ethiopia’s mission and vision, please send your CV (not more than 3 pages) and cover letter (not more than one page) through Ethio Jobs
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Passionate and dedicated candidates who meet the requirement are strongly encouraged to apply, especially women!
CARE seeks to improve the lives of the most marginalized, particularly women and girls. Our diversity is our strength. We encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.