|Location||Gambella, Gambela, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 30, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Contract |
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
In Ethiopia, Plan has more than 25 years of experience in implementing its programme. Currently PIE mainly operates in seven geographical areas; Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz, Afar, and Addis Ababa City Administration on different projects funded by different donors including sponsorship.
Hygiene Promotion Officer is responsible to handle different activities of FSL, WASH, health and Nutrition at grass root level.
· Ensure that the WASH promotion activities are implemented according to the approved donor and government agreements.
· Planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and review of response activities as per the agreed document with donor and partners.
· Carrying out needs assessments and identify activities to increase awareness and enhance hygiene behavior change.
· Report request of material needed for WASH promotion activities and design IEC material according to the specific targeted group (adult, children, and persons living with disabilities).
· Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities according to the identified needs. Those may include but are not limited to: conduct sex and age segregated consultations with the affected community, WASH kits distributions, WASH kits use demonstrations, water treatment and water quality monitoring, training and follow up of community health workers, cleaning campaign.
· Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities that keep the community and the staff safe from the risk of WASH Related diseases.
· Provide daily/weekly report to immediate supervisor.
· Provide WASH promotion related training for the Water Management Committee, governmental technicians, and concerned community members related to measures to remain protected from WASH related disease and about the importance of properly use and maintain WASH infrastructures for the community to remain safe and healthy.
· Be based in the targeted regions (depending on the needs) for several days per week to monitor the activities, including overnight stay in rural areas.
· Work in close coordination with the community and all its representatives, including women, children, elderly and persons living with disabilities to ensure the specific needs and suggestions from all targeted beneficiaries are known. Work in close coordination with the WASH officers and other sectors colleagues to ensure that the overall WASH response address the needs of the targeted population, in the respect of dignity and local culture.
· Contribute to regular data collection in the field during needs assessments, post distribution monitoring, baseline and end-line surveys.
· Undertakes any other relevant tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Related to Program Design;
· Facilitate and collect baseline information and data from community submit to PA for further analysis.
Related to coordination, partnership and networking
· In addition to the WASH coordinator, he/she can be Serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the project areas that has relevance to the project implementation, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
· Establish links and good relationships with relevant district government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, academic and research institutions and the media, in the area of water, sanitation and hygiene to draw information and knowledge for project efficiency and effectiveness.
· Makes follow up and proper documentation and share of district government information, strategies with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
Related to capacity building support
· Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of local partners in project management.
· Provide guidance to colleagues and partner staffs on smooth partnership management for enhanced project implementation.
· Ensure that appropriate partner assessment is done on time and communicated to relevant staff.
· Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
· University degree in Environmental Health, public health or a related subject. Adequate experience in the field will substitute for formal qualifications.
· Minimum 4 years of total experience of which experience in WASH sector and experience in emergency WASH is advantageous.
· Experience in WASH facilities construction in a complex and demanding workload.
· Substantial experience in coordinating, mobilizing community, planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting.
· Demonstrated work experience in designing, supervise and implementing water, sanitation and hygiene infrastructural programs in community, school and health centers.
· Ability and willingness to travel and work in rural areas where the project is implemented, within approved security frameworks.
· Strong interpersonal skills, communication, presentation and facilitation skills and an ability to train and mentor staff.
· Desired spoken and written English.
· Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and databases).
Skills Specific to the Post
· Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
· Strong negotiation, influencing and problem solving skills.
· Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting.
· Ability to analyze information and evaluate options including planning skills.
· Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other application
Good knowledge of the area and local custom
Basic computer skill (desirable and advantageous)
Good knowledge of Local language, Amharic and English languages;
The closing date for the application in August 01, 2021. Qualified candidates should submit the application through Ethiojobs.
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
More information about Plan International can be found on http://plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organization, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we as an organization, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.