|Location||EastImi & Berano(Somali) Alle & Kenna (SNNPR), Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 9, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
This position is Contingent
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We help people overcome poverty and conflict. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives. To grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions. During our 34-year history, our work has improved more than 170 million lives in more than 115 countries around the world. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: TSFP-IYCF Officer
Duty Station: EastImi & Berano(Somali) Alle & Kenna (SNNPR)
Program / Department Summary
The project is intended to reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with under nutrition and increased illnesses of conflict induced communities who do not have access to primary health care services and basic nutrition services.
General Position Summary
The TSFP/IYCF nurse is responsible for management of moderate acute malnutrition and prevention of further deterioration of the nutrition situation through provision of IYCF counseling, supplementary foods, timely screening, health and nutrition education and capacity building and technical support to the Woreda Health Office on the management of moderate acute malnutrition.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
· Collaborate with other team member for effective integration between other services like Nutrition and health services
· Collaborate with Local authorities and other partners to harmonize different efforts for better impact and sustainability.
· Able to learn and update his/ her information or knowledge to adapt the changing situation and context
· Plan and organize TSF and IYCF counseling and education at the designated distribution sites in collaboration with other nutrition teams.
· Prepare plan of action for effective TSFP and IYCF implementation in consultation with the .
· Provide supportive supervision to the Health Extension Workers (HEWs) and Food Distribution Agents (FDAs) at the TSFP sites.
· Work closely with the HEWs and FDAs to ensure all children are measured correctly.
· Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the HEWs and HWs, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP.
· Review the forms completed by the HEWs to ensure completion, accuracy and coherence
· Ensure HEWs and FDAs follow and respect the national protocols
· Ensure adequate availability of all medical and food supplies and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistics.
· Work closely with OTP/SC Nurse to ensure all aspects of the programme are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the OTP.
· Follow-up and provide feedback to Project Coordinator on the amount and quality of the supplementary foods if it does not comply with specified quality standards.
· Report on progress and any problems in a timely manner.
· Ensure cases not meeting admission criteria return home as early as possible and care takers understand why their child is not admitted.
· Through liaison with the HEWs and FDAs, provide effective follow up of all cases: particularly tracing of children who are absent from the programme, sick children, children not gaining weight, and children with social problems etc.
· Provide On-the-Job training to HEWs and FDAs on the provision of key health and education messages to beneficiaries based the acceptable protocol and guidelines
· Respond to HEWs and FDAs inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary at the TFP sites.
· Providing Woreda Health Office staffs with technical support in convening meetings and answering questions on topics relevant to the project as necessary.
· Assist HEWs to compile the statistical data.
· Establish good relationship with the local authorities and community leaders.
· Establish link and meetings with the community leaders and different group existing in the working
· Perform any other duties requested by the immediate supervisor
· Organize and ensure the documentation of Health education and capacity building activities.
· Participate in dissemination of appropriate hygiene educational materials.
· Support the CMAM nurse and Project coordinators in Organizing and facilitating CMAM trainings
· Ensure health workers and HEWs follow and respect the national protocols
· Providing technical support for MC mobile and zonal/ woreda government health staffs on management of moderate acute malnutrition
· Inform the Project Coordinator s for any professional problems encountered
· Provided formal and on job training for health workers and HEWs and supportive MC Nutrition field workers and community mobilizers.
Finance & Compliance Management
Influence & Representation
· Liaise with concerned government authorities and ensure the programme strategy, objectives and activities are understood, agreed and appropriate communication channel is in place
· Participating in the Zonal/ Regional health and Nutrition Technical Working Group meetings, develop meeting agendas, documentation and dissemination of the technical working group meetings action point and recommendations.
· Liaise and coordinate with local stakeholders and MoH personnel regularly, reporting to them and giving them updates on activities.
· Collaborate with the potential partners on the field (health centres, health posts, committee leaders) to improve the coverage and the efficiency of the programs.
· Collaborate with partners where possible (e.g. UNICEF and WHO in nutrition/health assessments in the area that may have an impact on our programs).
· Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
· Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
· As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
- Diploma or BSC in Public health or Nursing, with Minimum four years working experience in NGOs environment as MHNT out of which two years in clinical setup.
- Solid technical skill on management acute malnutrition and technical support for health workers and HEWs
- Knowledge and experience in management of moderately malnourished children and PLWs
- Demonstrated skills in program planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Ability to lead mobile teams and able to create good team sprit among the group.
- Strong computer (Microsoft skills), and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Good command in written and spoken English and Local language.
- Good human relation skills.
- Willingness to work under pressure and extra hours
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in closely working with regional, Zonal and Woreda Health
- Ability to prepare program reports Knowledge in local language;
- Communication skill, good human relations
Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 18 September 2021/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address:
Note: Please make sure that you mention the position title in the subject line of your email application.
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974
Gambella Merc Cops Office: in person