|Location||Ensaro Woreda, Amhara, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 25, 2021|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Contract |
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Project Description:
Tikkun Olam Ventures (TOV) is a new philanthropic development fund and program established by the American-Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC). Ethiopia is TOV’s pilot country of operations. TOV supports social businesses in emerging economies to access, invest in, and adopt Israeli technology and innovations to improve the lives of smallholder farmers. Additionally, the fund promotes sustainable business models by facilitating loans for small and medium enterprises (cooperatives, unions, and private agri-businesses) and by providing them with technical support services that increase their chances for success. TOV addresses all barriers to the introduction of new technologies – and facilitates access to finance, technology, learning, and market channels. The first year and a half of the program will serve as the program pilot and focus on supporting enterprises working with smallholder farmers in various horticulture market systems. There is a special focus on increased engagement/empowerment of women and youth.
III. Position Description:
Support Program Manager in the set-up of program operations at field sites. Implement and follow up on program interventions to facilitate enterprises’ successful purchase of and support to their member smallholder farmers in investing in and adopting Israeli technologies and innovations that ultimately improve their incomes. Interventions include but are not limited to do agronomic practices, the site layout, plot design, system installation, and maintenances, supporting enterprises in access to finance, capacity building for improved agronomy, general business and governance skills, loan management, technology utilization, and marketing.
Mobilize and facilitate other key market system players (farmers, local government, research centers, traders, and input/equipment suppliers) to implement program interventions, which will require negotiating, partnering with, and providing follow-up support to these players.
IV. Duties and responsibilities:
Setting Up and Supporting Program Operations
- Operate and manage Gogiti model FTC where farmers and experts from woreda and zones can learn drip irrigation operation, management, maintenance, vegetable production, crop protection practically from the model demo plot;
- Record all necessary data including but not limited to, input supply, production cost, sales, and other related information of the model FTC;
- Organize regular farmers visit the FTC together with different woreda agricultural offices and TOV BAs;
- Manage and use properly all the materials delivered to the operation of the model FTC and report when any problem happened;
- When necessary and assign, support the farmers in agronomic practices and pest and disease protection of horticultural crops;
- Support in finalizing the selection of enterprises participating in TOV;
- Develop site plan, design drip kits installation, and install drip kits on farmers’ fields;
- Provide maintenance service for the drip kits at field level;
- Provide technical service and training to farmers on drip system operation, maintenance, and lateral stretching, folding, and storing kits at end of the season;
- Supporting planning meetings and workshops with selected enterprises and other key stakeholders;
- Develop and closely manage relationships with local government agencies, and other key stakeholders;
- Coordinate team and guest visits at the model FTC, facilitate travel arrangement, provide assistance, and appropriate information, and/or facilitate their visit as per schedule provided;
Enterprise Capacity Building
- Build capacity of enterprises through facilitating training, including but not limited to train-the-trainer, business model generation, financial and loan management, good governance, horticulture agronomy, TOV technology adoption, marketing, and nutrition
- Support and facilitate growth in enterprises’ farmer membership and sustainable services offered to members
- Facilitate enterprises’ access to finance
Teamwork and Reporting
- Collaborate with other project team members to plan administrative and M&E activities
- Provide strategic feedback to improve the TOV program to Interim Program Manager, M&E Coordinator, and teammates based on successes, challenges, and other analysis of ongoing activities;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Interim Program Manager
- Lead ongoing research into horticulture as well as technologies and innovations relevant to the project scope; working with the project team, update the analysis and understanding of the market systems on a regular basis;
- Ensure benefit to women and youth as well as men;
- Work together with and support Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) coordinator, as required
- Bachelor degree in horticulture or plant science or other related fields
- Required experience:
- Practical experience in drip irrigation installation, maintenance for smallholder farmers;
- Knowledge and skill in demo plot operation and management.
- Experience in horticultural production and crop protection;
- Experience in preparation of site plan and layout for drip irrigation,
- Motor bicycle riding license, ability, and willingness to ride a motor bicycle are MUST.
- Attributes and skills:
- Excellent customer service skills;
- High level of organization and efficiency;
- Clear and concise communication skills;
- Computer skills (emails, scanning, word processing) and proficiency Google Drive, Skype, and familiarity with Excel and Word software;
- Perform basic Excel functions such as custom sort, filter, copy, paste, freeze rows/columns and can conduct search find and replace in Excel;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at once for different individuals in the office;
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion;
- Results-focused and awareness of the different challenges faced by individuals;
- Culturally aware and able to speak English and Amharic fluently.
VI. Preferred Qualifications and Capabilities
- Computer skill
- Experience in planning and coordination of events;
- Experience with computer programs related to data analysis in addition to Excel;
- Experience in agriculture, agriculture technologies, and innovations, or another relevant area;
- Experience working with farmers, cooperatives, and agribusinesses at the field level.
VII. Application Instructions
Qualified and interested applicants should Click here to apply for this position and submit a cover letter resume as a single document (either Word or PDF) by August 30, 2021. Applications will be reviewed and considered as received/on a rolling basis. Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not send through the indicated link.
TechnoServe has the right to cancel this advertisement.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.