|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 20, 2022|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The International Accounting & Finance Manager oversees accounting and finance operations in support of Lifewater’s global leadership to ensure a timely and accurate monthly close and financial reporting according to accounting standards. This role will be a subject matter expert in the processes and tools used by Lifewater to oversee finance and accounting functions. This position will provide leadership of global finance staff and support the annual external audits and budgeting process.
Areas of Responsibility
Monthly Accounting Close & General Ledger Accounting System
- Responsible for timely and accurate month-end accounting close of all programs ensuring consistency and continuous improvement across the field offices.
- Responsible for the development of best practices and management of the general ledger accounting system as well as support of finance staff and accountants in its usage.
- Review monthly financial reports, subledgers, and transaction details to ensure accurate and consistent accounting records. Communicate with accountants on required changes.
- May manage one or more employees by providing workflow direction, feedback, coaching, performance reviews, interviewing, hiring, and any other managerial duties as needed to maximize the potential of the employee, in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Audits & Internal Controls
- Review and test internal control systems in the field offices and work with accountants to make improvements to ensure consistency, prevention of fraud, and accurate financial reporting.
- Provide support and leadership of finance staff throughout the annual audit process ensuring that financial statements are compliant with local and international accounting standards.
- Maintain and update the Finance Manual and transaction documentation templates with HQ Finance and rollout changes to accounting staff.
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Support the annual budgeting process.
- Manage reforecasting process and help provide support to program leadership staff on budget changes.
- Prepare monthly funding wires for international funding of countries by HQ.
- Provide analysis on financial performance against the annual budget/forecast.
- Other duties as assigned
Reports to: Director of Finance
Work Experience and Qualifications
- Adherence to Lifewater’s statement of faith
- Passion for Lifewater’s mission of serving vulnerable communities and children
- At least 5 years of progressive accounting and management experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and at least one accounting software (Microsoft Business Central, Oracle Netsuite, Quickbooks, Sage, etc.)
- Accounting degree or internationally recognized accounting certification (ACCA, CGMA, CPA, etc.)
- Proficient knowledge of accounting standards (IFRS, IPSAS, GAAP)
- Demonstrate a high degree of quality and professionalism
- Ability to work thoughtfully and collaboratively in a cross-cultural setting
- Highly organized and self-motivated with a fastidious attention to detail
- Ability to lead multiple projects and priorities simultaneously and take the initiative for projects and process improvements
- The ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed
- Legally authorized to work in Ethiopia; no sponsorship will be provided
- Experience supporting remote accounting units/personnel in cross-cultural environments
- Experience working for a local or international NGO
- Experience rolling out or leading the usage of a general ledger accounting system.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds at a time