|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 4, 2020|
|Category|| Consultancy |
|Job Type|| Contract |
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women office in Ethiopia plays a dual role, representation to the African Union (AU) and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and representation to Ethiopia. In this regard, under its regional function, the Ethiopia country office engages with the AU and its various organs, the United Nations system particularly ECA, regional CSOs and international NGO, as well as the diplomatic community and in particular, delegations to the African Union. Through the office, UN Women provides technical support to member states, the AU and ECA in the adoption, implementation and monitoring of commitments on gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE) at the regional level, and in accordance with its mandate.
Furthermore, the Ethiopia Country Office (ECO) will represent UN Women in the UN Liaison Team and contributes to gender mainstreaming in UN System in the context of the Regional Coordination Mechanism (RCM) Africa to advance the GEWE agenda on the continent.
In implementing its Strategic Note (2017-2020), UN Women ECO through its Liaison function to the AU and ECA aims at providing technical assistance to the African Union Commission through the Women, Gender and Development Directorate (WGDD) to effectively mainstream gender issues in AU and its programs and policy processes. UN Women ECO also collaborates with relevant departments of the AUC for gender responsive development and implementation of regional initiatives. some of the key technical support provided to African Union and ECA for all Joint initiatives targeting the entire continent or selected regions include administrative, and logistical related support to Africa member states with a majority country communicating in English and French, while a limited number uses Portuguese and Arabic languages.
This TOR is therefore prepared to guide the recruitment of an International Junior Consultant who will act as an operation officer. She/he will support the liaison to implement its part of the ECO Strategic Note and annual working plans, especially with regard administration, logistic, Human resources and all operation processes of the liaison. This will release the rest of the liaison team to work closely on activities they are assigned to, particularly during the absence of the Liaison specialist on maternity and the very busy period of the Liaison regional adviser (currently Acting Representative to Ethiopia, AU and ECA).
Duties and Responsibilities
With guidance and overall supervision of the UN Women Regional Liaison Adviser, and under close supervision from the Liaison Specialist and close collaboration with the entire liaison and ECO operation teams, the Officer is expected to undertake the following tasks:
Compliance with UN Core Values
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Commitment to UN Women’s mission, vision, values and strategic goals.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero
Required Skills and Experience
An undergraduate degree in administration, finance or any relating field is the basic requirement. Experience of working on similar or comparable assignments, and knowledge of international/regional institutions such as African union and ECA desired.
The successful consultants must have:
- Experience working with African Union and/or ECA
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders including young women and youth.
- Personal commitment, ability to work without constant supervision, and capacity to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Good oral and written reporting skills including ability to communicate fluently in English and French language. Good listening skills
- Assessment, analytical and planning skills
Language and other skills
- Excellent knowledge of written and oral communication in English and french.
- Candidates with Arabic and Portuguese will be considered
- Full command of Microsoft applications, particularly excel and other relevant software.