|Location||Ebamadrie (Shire), Tigray, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 14, 2021|
|Category|| Security |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Duties and Qualifications
UNHCR SO Shire, seeks to build a pool of potential candidates to work as interpreters. We are looking for individuals who can translate from any of the following languages: Tigrinya, Saho, Kunama to Amharic and English. The selected candidates will be contracted under Individual Contractor contractual modality, in accordance with the UNHCR Rules and Regulations.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment:
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of The Head of Field Office, Protection Officer within the Community Based Protection Unit, based in Field Office, Embamadrie, the interpreter(s) will:
Be assigned to work with one of the Protection Units namely: Community Based Protection-/ Child Protection-, Registration-, Field-, Refugee Status Determination- (RSD) or Resettlement- units. Upon demand, the interpreter may support different units each day or throughout the day depending on where the operational needs are. The Interpreter will translate in interviews and counselling sessions between Amharic and/or English to Tigrinya and/or Kunama and Saho. The interpreter may also be asked to translate written documents or statements as necessary.
In the fulfilment of his/her duties the interpreter must abide by relevant standards. In particular:
- The interpreter is required to read, understand and comply with UNHCR Code of Conduct and realizes that he/she shall be expected to work in the spirit of the principles set forth therein;
- The interpreter is required to read and understand the Undertaking of Confidentiality and Impartiality and understands that he shall be expected to respect the principle of confidentiality and remain impartial in his/her work.
- The interpreter is required to read and understand, and agree to abide by the standards, Special measures for protection from sexual exploitation and sexual abuse.
Accountability and Responsibilities:
- Interprets and/or translates in meetings/interviews between UNHCR field staff and asylum seekers/refugees on matters related to protection concerns, housing, medical issues, reception, outreach activities, registration issues, refugee status determination, resettlement etc;
- Translates all necessary documents needed for the organization¿s needs;
- Interprets oral conversations, discussions and interviews including in meetings with high ranking officials, diplomats and others;
- Performs other duties as required.
Note: UNHCR will not provide accommodation.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher.
- Mandatory proficiency in Amharic-Tigrinya and English-Tigrinya; ¿ Or mandatory proficiency in Saho, Kunama and English-Amharic;
- 1 year relevant experience working for a humanitarian organization or relate
- Activities preferred, experience working as an interpreter and/or translator strongly preferred;
- Excellent oral and high writing skills; good drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work in multicultural environments and respect for diversity;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Strong overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, TEAMs)
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through :
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
All applicants must be Nationals of the country and be locally recruited within the country of their employment.
An eliminatory or complementary written test for shortlisted candidates may be conducted which will be followed by competency-based interview.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply