|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 14, 2021|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
(Junior) Communication and PR Professional (Re-advertised)
GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #121/2021
GIZ Country Office
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German public-benefit federal enterprise. GIZ works worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas. We work to shape a future worth living in over 120 countries around the world.
The GIZ Office in Addis Ababa is responsible for the country portfolios in Ethiopia and Djibouti. GIZ Ethiopia implements projects on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL), the European Union, and other commissioning parties. Sectors of engagement include agriculture, biodiversity and climate change, sustainable economic development and technical vocational education, energy, as well as migration and cooperation with the private sector.
GIZ is seeking a qualified candidate for the following position of Communications and PR Professional
Contract duration: Unlimited contract
In this position, the Communication & PR Professional will be supporting the Communications & PR unit at the GIZ Country Office in Addis Ababa. The unit coordinates all matters regarding internal and external communication and works closely with the Communications & PR Officers in the Projects. When we speak or write about GIZ Ethiopia and Djibouti, we want to be sure our message gets across. Whether we’re communicating with partners, commissioning parties or potential clients, we want them to understand what we do and how we do it. Our aim: keep it clear and simple! To communicate with one voice the Communication & PR Professional is coordinating and assuring the quality of communication products and activities.
- Media relations (national)
- Editing and circulating press invitation, including follow ups
- Editing and circulating press releases, including follow ups
- Preparing and briefing for interview situations
- Corporate Design
- Ensuring GIZ corporate design principles on all publications and media formats
- Update & (develop) corporate design materials with the help of design templates
- Strategic consultancy on…
- Advising programmes on how to develop communication strategies
- Advising programmes on how to develop a media campaign (print, audio, film)
- Internal communications
- Conducting regular meetings with PR and Communication Officers from the programmes
- Maintaining the Country Page of GIZ Ethiopia on the intranet platform IDA
- Editing & layout support
- Administrative processes
- Supporting (journalist) visa application process for international journalists
- Updating framework agreements within the field of communication
Required educational qualifications, professional experience and competency
- University degree in relevant field of work (Communications, International Relations, Journalism)
- A minimum of 1-2 (two) [JUNIOR] / 3 (three) [MID] years’ experience of working in the field of communication (media and PR work, journalism, internal communication, social media communication) preferably in international context
- Fluency in writing, reading and speaking in English and Amharic, knowledge of German language will be an advantage
- Work or study experience abroad
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a confident journalistic style that is suited to the target group
- Proven track record in communications (press relations and PR, journalism, internal communications, lobbying etc.)
- Editorial experience/experience in writing articles and press releases
- Experience in maintaining contacts to journalists, good contacts to (local/regional) media,
- Experience of project and/or event management
- Experience of production of publications and materials
Other knowledge, personal and social competency
- Basic knowledge of national development policy issues, development cooperation and international cooperation
- Knowledge of desktop publishing or graphics applications such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator is an asset
- First experiences in moderating groups and discussions
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Social, intercultural understanding and interest, flexibility, ability to work in team, sense of diplomacy, ability to a politically sensitive environment, highly motivated
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a very fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines
- Able to deliver high quality work products
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed
- Strategic thinking; ability to develop and implement strategies to further advance and improve the services offered
- Highly service-oriented character and communicator
- Solution-oriented mindset.
- Takes over responsibility for the tasks assigned to her/him and carries them out independently.
- Exhibits conscientiousness, reliability, integrity, loyalty, commitment and perseverance.
This position can also be filled with a junior professional. GIZ may ask for writing samples in the course of recruitment.
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Communications and PR Advisor #121/2021” in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are very encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”