|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 11, 2021|
|Category|| Legal |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
|Position Title:||Legal Intern (2 positions)|
|Duty Station:||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment:||Three months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date:||As soon as possible|
|Closing Date:||21 October 2021|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the general supervision of Resource Management Officer and the direct supervision of the Legal Assistant, the successful candidate will assist in drafting contractual agreements and legal documents ensuring their conformity with relevant IOM guidelines, template and instructions.
S/he will be responsible and accountable for maintaining legal reference tracking database, both paper and electronic, to ensure rapid retrieval of critical information; conducts reference searches upon request; reviews material and determines appropriate file classification category; storage and retrieval of files; participates in initiatives to enhance existing systems for records management and retrieval. The Legal Intern will be responsible and accountable for providing necessary support in the Legal Unit, particularly, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in maintaining legal reference files, both on hard copy and electronic, to ensure rapid retrieval of critical information; conducts reference searches upon request; reviews material and determines appropriate file classification category
- Assist contact service providers and facilitate the signing of agreements that are ready for signature and ensure timely receipt of the requested documents.
- Provide support and organize ceremonies e.g. signing…, ensuring timely receipt of legal instrument and other requested documents. Schedule appointments meetings monitors and deadline as well.
- Assist in drafting service level agreements, amendments and extensions ensuring their conformity with relevant guidelines and instructions
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Fresh graduate with University Degree in Law or related field of study.
- Knowledge of national law is important,
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality in performing responsibilities,
- Required IOM functional competencies: Effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, team player and
- Proficient in Microsoft windows. Computer literacy: intermediate-level user or higher.
- Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English and Amharic is required.
- Knowledge of other local languages spoken in Ethiopia is advantageous.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve the performance of self and others
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and, promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays an awareness of relevant technological solutions
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM (optional depending on position level)
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, by 21 October 2021 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!