|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||November 9, 2021|
|Category|| IT / Information Technology |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences is a non-governmental and not-for-profit organization established by an Act of Parliament (Proclamation No. 783/2013) as an independent body. It provides evidence-based advice to policymakers and other stakeholders, conducts consensus studies, promotes excellence in research, offers capacity-building training, organizes public dialogues, disseminates pertinent scientific, cultural, historical, and educational information, and encourages innovations in the sciences and technology.
The Academy invites eligible candidates to apply for the following vacant post.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director the Librarian is responsible for cataloging the holding of the library and assisting in the implementation of library support services related to digitalization, encoding, and sharing data and information following professional standards. He also handles acquisition, maintenance, and lending books, periodicals, publications, studies, maps, and other related reference materials vital to EAS operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing original cataloging of all formats of library materials to facilitate their identification, access, and use.
- Develop and maintain innovative management systems for selecting, acquiring, cataloguing, classifying, circulating, and maintaining library materials following international standards and developed guidelines.
- Assist with development, testing, and documentation of services for registering and storing data files.
- Assist in the development of institutional repository and digitalization of library system.
- Manages the library facility to provide flexible access to the resources at the point of need;
- Maintains records for all books and publications in the Library; loans and collects them according to library rules;
- Promotes widespread use of the Library facilities by the interested staff of EAS to keep abreast with current trends and new technological developments;
- Arranges proper layout and display of newspapers and periodicals for spot reading;
- Prepares, maintains, and distributes a list of newly acquired books and other reference materials of interest and practical use to EAS staff members;
- Arranges for the renewal or replacement of worn-out books in the Library;
- Maintains stock cards and conducts an annual inventory of all books in the Library;
- Ensures the timely return of loaned books and takes appropriate steps to recover lost or overdue books;
- Signs on check-out slips for resigning or terminated staff after checking that loaned books and materials are returned or costs are recovered;
- Contacts local and foreign agencies to encourage or seek donations of books and other reference materials useful to EAS operations;
- Reviews requisitions and specifications of books before passing them to procurement;
- Initiates requisitions for books that are useful for EAS’s purposes and should be placed in the Library;
- Prepares annual budget estimates of the library;
- Submits quarterly progress reports on the activities of the Library;
- Initiates ideas and projects that would ultimately help in establishing an e-library system;
- Initiates links with other institutions providing library service so that EAS staff and members could get access to reference materials available in their libraries;
- Assist in IT-related issues of the Academy;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Two years, renewable based on performance.
Salary and benefits
- As per the Academy’s salary scale and benefits package.
Qualification and Competencies
- BSc in Information Sciences or Library Sciences
- A minimum of three years of experience in related work;
- Fluent in spoken and written English;
- Skills in basic library systems like Koha, DSpace, etc.
- Excellent IT skills and knowledge of library databases.
- Knowledge of the standard rules and regulations governing library in classifying, indexing books and references.
- Ability to manage the digital libraries and digital knowledge in terms of digital knowledge management.
- Knowledge of library management systems is advantageous
- Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should submit their application letter with their CV; indicating the position applying for on the subject line of the email only.
- Send your applications by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver by hand to the Secretariat’s Administration and Finance Office, Gulele Sub-City, Woreda 9, House No. 199, Phone: +251 112 590930 at Blaten Geta Heruy Woldesellassie’s former residence.
- Please note that only those candidates meeting the job requirements will be contacted for exam.
- Women are especially encouraged to apply.