|Location||Gerbo Woreda with regular field visit, Somali, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 6, 2020|
|Category|| Logistics |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Context of the mission
MÉDECINS DU MONDE - FRANCE (MDM-F) is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
In January – February 2019, MdM France (MdM-F) and MdM Germany (MdM- Ge) conducted a joint-Fact Finding Mission in the Somali region. The goal of this mission was to assess the humanitarian needs caused by ongoing drought and conflict and evaluate intervention options for MdM. The assessment covered three zones: Gerbo, Qubi and Lagahida. After successful submission of the project proposal to the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO), the 24-month project has been launched 1 July 2019.
The project aims primarily to improve access to and the quality of health services with a focus on life-saving Mother and Child Health (MCH) interventions. The proposed activities include ensuring high-quality basic emergency obstetric and newborn care (BEmONC) at the Gerbo health center, improving MCH services at Molayko health center. The focus will be on capacity-building, training and mentoring, equipment and medical supplies, and community sensitization. In relation to improving prevention, monitoring and control of epidemics in this region, such as acute watery diarrhea (AWD) and measles, the focus is also on support of infection prevention and control (IPC)/medical waste management in the 2 health centers (HC) and capacity-building in vaccination routine/outreach, cold chain management for staff at the healthcare facilities (both the 2 health centers and the 7 health posts). The screening, identification, management and treatment of acute malnutrition (moderate and severe) will also be improved, using community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM) approach, both at healthcare facilities and through targeted outreach activities in communities. WASH activities will be integrated into the health and nutrition activities, e.g. by ensuring availability of hand-washing stations and drinking water supplies in the 2 supported health centers. MdM F and MdM Ge will implement this new project jointly, with MdM F being the lead in the first year and a coordinated handover to MdM Ge during the project period.
Functional and hierarchical lines
Reports hierarchically to Program Coordinator and functionally to Logistics Coordinator in Addis Ababa
Manages the Logistics staff in Gerbo
He/she is the technical reference person for logistics officer in Jigjiga
Under the direct responsibility of the Program Coordinator and with the support of Logistics Coordinator in Addis Ababa, the logistic manager
Support the activities of the Project with the resources, MDM’s procedures and tools, in order to facilitate achievement of the operational objectives:
- Oversee the implementation of and compliance with MDM logistics procedures, policies and management tools.
- Responsible for logistical and medical supplies to the Project.
- Manage and monitor the logistics of the material resources for the Project, under the supervision of the line manager and the technical adviser.
- Implement support activities (communications, electricity, transport) and any other logistical activities required to achieve the medical objectives (construction/restoration, water & sanitation, etc.).
- Coordinate the work of all the logistics teams, supervise their training and assessment.
- Provides leadership on logistics aspects of any emergency response undertaken by the Mission
- Report on regular basis about all logistics activities within the mission to the Program Coordinator and Logistics Coordinator.
LOGISTICS AND SECURITY
- Participate in the implementation of the technical choices, policies and logistics procedures defined by the line manager, and ensure compliance with them; ensure the correct use of tools and documents for logistical monitoring.
- Ensure implementation of the technical aspects of the Project risk reduction policy and the technical feasibility of the evacuation plan.
- Participate in preparing and/or updating the Project security policy.
- Participate in evaluating the material and human resources needed to carry out the logistical activities of the Project, in conjunction with the line manager and technical adviser.
- Participate in the preparation, updating and monitoring of the logistics budget, in conjunction with the Administrator.
- Ensure the proper use, monitoring, regular maintenance (in accordance with the MDM standards) and protection of all Project infrastructures, installations and equipment, particularly by establishing and supervising security measures/rules (theft, fire, etc.).
- Ensure the upkeep and maintenance of logistics buildings, office buildings, and residential premises of the MDM teams.
- Ensure good living conditions for the teams and compliance with the health and safety measures defined by the line manager, in close collaboration with the medical adviser.
- Organize the procurement system in line with local or regional procedures, or in direct agreement with the line manager, depending on the facilities for importing materials and/or medicines.
- Make local purchases, in accordance with the MDM procurement rules. Ensure the quality of the products and services provided, timeframes and the competitiveness of prices, in line with the code of professional conduct.
- Prepare purchase orders for purchases in line with logistical, medical and administrative needs, in compliance with procedures (logistics use, signing orders, etc.).
- Responsible for the administrative supervision of internal and external orders; ensure that all documents relating to orders (waybills, packing lists, etc.) are correctly filed.
- Oversee the conditions of acceptance of freight or materials arriving by truck and the organisation and preparation (including packing and documentation) or materials to be shipped.
- Oversee the storage, packing and management of stocks (logistics materials, stationery and maintenance products), and provide the medical teams with technical support for the pharmacy.
- Comply with the storage rules for stored products (food, hazardous substances, etc.).
- Perform daily consumption checks and update stock cards.
- Take a physical inventory of all MDM stocks and goods, in accordance with the frequency defined with the line manager.
- Regularly evaluate the storage areas used compared with the needs of the Project (volume, security, etc.); propose possible adaptations to the line manager (new organization, etc.).
WATER & SANITATION AND CONSTRUCTION & RESTORATION
- Perform a diagnosis of the sanitation situation of the Project and the environment of the beneficiaries.
- Provide clean water for premises, in accordance SPHERE standards quality and with the frequency defined with the line manager.
- Implement the water & sanitation activities planned for the Project; propose improvements if necessary.
- In conjunction with the line manager, define, implement and oversee all construction and restoration activities for the Project.
- Supervise and train the teams working on construction/restoration projects.
VEHICLE MANAGEMENT AND MAINTENANCE
- Ensure that a fleet of vehicles that meets the needs of the Project in terms of size and quality is maintained; propose any necessary changes to the line manager.
- Oversee the effective management and regular maintenance of the vehicle fleet and correct completion of the logbook.
- Organise transport (daily movement of vehicles), in conjunction with the line manager, considering the needs of the Project
- Monitor the fuel consumption of vehicles and mechanical equipment (generators + moto pump), and the use of spare parts.
- Ensure the security of persons and goods during transportation.
- Supervise and train the teams of drivers, guards and any other staff involved
- Ensure the proper operation, use, maintenance and management of communication equipment (phones, sat phones, computers, etc.).
- Update the list of email and telephone contacts.
- Brief the project teams on the operation and rules of use of the means of communication.
Contract duration: 6 months with possibility of extension, start immediately
- BA degree in logistics & supply chain management or any other business field
- At least 2 years professional experience on a similar position
- Ability to work independently and in a team of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent communication skills with sense of diplomacy
- Ability to classify and manage priorities while being autonomous
- Proven experience in Humanitarian logistics, procurement, stock management.
- Good understanding of the procurement rules and regulations of major international donors.
- Experience in working in complex humanitarian setting desirable.
- Ability to work with extremely tight deadlines and multiple tasks, delivering good quality work in timely fashion.
- High level of interpersonal and negotiation skills and motivation to work as part of a team.
- Proficiency in using MS Excel and Word
- English and Somali language is mandatory (speaking and writing), Amharic and French are an asset
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send their application letter including updated curriculum vitae with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees through email@example.com email. If possible, please send all the above in one document – MS Word or PDF by writing the job title on the subject line.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Please notice that if you have not heard from MdM within 10 days of the submission date of the deadline, you should presume you were not short listed for this position. However, MdM thanks you for your interest and encourages you to apply for other openings where your skills and experience match.