|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 16, 2020|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Who we are
Jakenn Publishing is the media company of the present and the future of Ethiopia. We bring our passion for reporting and independent journalism to tell the stories which matter in the Ethiopia today and the Ethiopia being shaped for tomorrow.
JaKenn is widely known for its flagship publication and web portal Addis Standard. Started as a magazine in 2011, Addis Standard has evolved into the digital platform of choice for breaking news, analysis, and spell-binding commentary about Ethiopia that establishes understanding of happenings beyond your eyes and ears. One of the most followed media brands in Ethiopia on twitter and a solid web presence that has a firm grip on Ethiopia’s rapid political, economic, and social transformation, Addis Standard provides consumers content worthy of their time and attention.
As a young and dynamic company, JaKenn embodies an emerging multicultural Ethiopia where people are valued for their contribution to the development of a democratic and prosperous country. We understand that this means listening to our consumers, employees, and stakeholders in all processes from product development to execution. We value diversity and make an honest effort at providing an inclusive work environment that supports growth, nurtures innovation, and embraces risk taking.
As an integral part of its growth and in line with evolving market, corporate development, and industry needs; JaKenn would like to hire a Managing Editor to oversee the expansion of Addis Standard to a multiple language offering to its consumers. This position reports to the CEO and will lead all aspects of editorial operations including story gathering, editing, sourcing, publishing, and impact assessment.
Working with the head of Business Development, the Managing Editor will work to improve the consumer experience of products by keeping abreast of industry developments and adopting best practices in audience retention, user growth, and customer acquisition.
The Managing Editor will share the representation responsibilities of JaKenn with CEO in industry events, sector associations, and in discussions with regulators and other external stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
As the leader for content in the company, the Managing Editor will:
- Strengthen the editorial operations for existing products by reviewing current processes and adopting new ones
- Oversee the expansion of new products including services in Afaan Oromo, Amharic and Somali
- Plan and execute the expansion of digital multimedia production
- Lead the process of seamless social media curating and website content management
- Overseeing the expansion of office infrastructure suitable for at least 12 editorial staff members, and five non-editorial members
- Monitor the editorial process through regular editorial meetings and providing coaching and direction to news editors and journalists with regards to story selection, submission, and publishing deadlines
- Reviewing reporters’ work on routine schedule and giving feedback on areas that require improvement
- Lead the development of an editorial calendar across all products by working with Business Development to align advertising, content partnership, and other commitments
- Lead the process of editorial content monitoring and evaluation
Projected start date: May 1st 2020
- A minimum of Bachelors degree in Journalism, Mass Communication, and/or related degrees that combine communication/journalism with a management background from a recognised University with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. A postgraduate qualification in journalism, media studies strongly preferred.
Experience and skillset
- At least five years journalism experience and demonstrated writing and editing experience in a newsroom.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with good understanding of editorial practices, writing and editing requirements in a busy newsroom in English and preferable one or two more local languages in Ethiopia
- Exceptional understanding of the delicate nature of Ethiopia as a multinational state home to different nations and nationalities whose stories should be treated on fair bases
- Must have a good eye for detail, with excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation skills;
- Experience working in a very deadline driven environment;
- Good organisational skills and ability to work effectively with the team and collate material from multiple sources;
- Strong interpersonal skills & communication skills;
- Very strong analytical skills;
- Strong writing and reporting skills;
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to adapt to changes in a fast-growing company and provide solutions to these growing pains
- Ability to think strategically and execute with efficiency
- Ability to lead cross-functionally with teams and negotiate constructively with evidence
- Ability to adapt to and perform well in a multicultural setting composed of people from different backgrounds and strong opinions
- Clean from substance abuse and addiction to various substances
Kindly prepare your updated CV and cover letter in one file and send an email to HR@addisstandard.com using format “reference number- [Firstname] [Secondname]” as the subject line