|Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
|November 19, 2021
Inter religious council of Ethiopia is an umbrella organization made up of seven major religious institutions found in Ethiopia, namely the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahdo Church (EOTC), the Ethiopian Islamic Affairs Supreme Council (EIASC), the Ethiopian Catholic Church (ECC), the Evangelical Church Fellowship of Ethiopia (ECFE), the Ethiopian Seventh Day Adventist Church (ESDAC), the Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus (EECMY) and the Ethiopian Kale Hiwot Church (EKH). It was established as an independent and registered entity in 2010 and it has been certified by the then Ministry of Federal Affairs; now Ministry of Peace. Its objective includes promotion and systemization of inter-faith learning, collaboration and synergy to address issues of common concern such as peace building, conflict transformation and inter-faith dialogue. It also mainstreams the crosses cutting issues in all its development strategies such as HIV/AIDS, Human Trafficking, Climate change, and different harmful practices (Child marriage, FGM, GBV and domestic violence, etc.). Therefore, IRCE is the only institution of its kind in the country that promotes peace, culture of dialogue and enhances social wellbeing based on shared and common values of religious teachings.
IRCE has been awarded a grant by USAID Ethiopia to implement PEPFAR’s Faith based Retention and Adherence Initiative for 23 months based on availability of funding and performance. The grant intends to strengthen organizational capacity by the recipient and, concurrently, deliver strategic HIV advocacy, communication and social mobilization (ACSM) to faith-based audiences in close collaboration with the Government of Ethiopia in PEPFAR geographic focusing areas.
IRCE seeks Media Specialist to provide technical leadership and strategic direction for development and implementation of media related activities of PEPFAR Faith Based Retention and Adherence project.
The Media Specialist is responsible for project managing a range of channels, campaigns, content message development, developing and updating written and multimedia content about HIV/AIDS services focusing on compatibility of ART with spiritual healings
- Reporting to the project director you will be responsible for carrying out the following activities in line with the project’s goals, content strategy and style guidelines.
- Develops social media strategies and campaigns focusing on testing, treatment, care, support and stigma and discrimination for target population including PLHIV;
- Identify and make use of variety of communication channels to drive and sustain positive behaviour among individuals, communities and societies
- Develop and implement media strategies to increase and improve project activities and services outreach
- Organizes publicity, advocacy, knowledge sharing events and promotional opportunities and facilitate provision of logistics support to the events;
- Designs a coherent framework that enables ACSM to help address improving case detection and treatment adherence;
- Liaise with media outlets and strengthen partnership, devise and implement communication strategies to achieve stated aims and objectives to ensure that the appropriate information and messages developed by the ACSM strategy are reaching the target groups and the public at large;
- Prepare promotional materials on the project including pamphlets, videos, etc.;
- Ensure appropriate media training is provided for project officers, key media partners and their staff
- Measure the success of every social media campaign
- Contributes to program quality according to USAID standards including quality assurance and quality improvement initiatives
- Review reference materials and maintains information data-base and photo as well as audio libraries;
- Strictly works on and makes sure that branding and marking is applied as per the branding strategy and marking plan of USAID;
- Contributes to the production of timely and accurate technical reports IRCE project management team and USAID as required.
- Work with media outlet journalists, and designers and editors to ensure content is informative and appealing;
- Contributes to the achievement of high-quality results in accordance with the targets identified in the work plan and Performance Monitoring Plan;
- Perform other duties assigned by immediate supervisor
Reporting to: Project Director
Place of Work: IRCE Head Office
Number of Position: (01)
Knowledge and Skills
- Good interpersonal skills to allow effective collaboration with designers and developers –ensuring the maximum success for all content
- Stay up to date with the latest social media best practices and technologies
- Ability to communicate with professionals of the media industry to create a strong network
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; particularly the ability to prepare press broachers, leaflets releases, briefings, articles;
- Able to manage own workload, resolve competing demands, and cope with changing priorities in a flexible and proactive way and work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Self-reliant, and able to take responsibility for a specific area of work
- Bachelor's degree or Master’s degree in Communications, Health communication, or related field or equivalent.
- At least 7 and 5 years of demonstrated relevant experience for Bachelor’s and Master’s degree respectively
- 3 years’ experience working a media specialist, on behaviour change communication, mobilization and advocacy, with substantial HIV prevention, care, and treatment experience;
- Have experience in working with mainstream media outlasts developers and agencies to develop ideas for creative multimedia content and Implementing communications activities;
- Experience with U.S. government rules and regulations
- Understands the HIV-related needs of diversified target population, including PLHIV and have worked to support and implement activities to increase retention and adherence to ART, and reduce stigma and discrimination.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the religious and ethical issues surrounding various religious and faith institutions
- Experience working with religious and faith based organizations to plan and implement HIV behaviour change communication activities through use of various communication channels.
Interested and qualified applicants should mail only their application letter and C.V, within Ten (10) days from the date of this announcement to: Human Resources, Inter-Religious Council of Ethiopia
Due to the volume of applications, we will only contact shortlisted candidates, and we are unable to provide any feedback on unsuccessful applications.
Please mention the title of the position you applied for on the subject line of your email or write ‘’Media Specialist’’.
CANDIDATES WHO DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.