|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 10, 2022|
|Category|| Other |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
|United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)|
Position: Medical Officer, Service Contract
Duty Station: Gode
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Provide evidenced based primary care, preventive, curative, promotive and rehabilitative to all eligible family and staff members as established by the ET CO.
2. Provide first-aid and emergency response and care to the staff and their recognized dependents.
3. Perform diagnostic and laboratory tests such as: ECG and rapid laboratory (malaria RDT, urine dipstick, etc).
4. Assist in the follow-up of previously diagnosed chronic medical conditions for which treatment has already been started.
5. Provide early detection in mental health cases and arrange referral to appropriate specialists to facilitate proper treatment and follow up support.
6. Dispense generic medications properly according evidenced based medicine, in line with international standards and reviewing instructions with patients.
7. Administer medication, injection, vaccination, initiate intravenous fluids fluid, dressing, stitching, minor foreign body extraction, and other medical procedures as prescribed.
8. Provide COVID19 guidelines and follow up the staff and their dependents by providing testing, covid mitigation measures and follow up of isolated cases.
9. Rotate to sub office locations to perform the above and reporting on the health status of staff and local (emergency) medical support options.
10. Participate in UN COVID19 vaccination campaign as requested, collecting data and sending reports as required.
11. Work with and technically support the screening nurses on COVID19 related issues as well as support them when dealing with any medical issues in coordination with head doctor.
12. Consult with the Head Doctor when a given presenting problem goes beyond scope of practice/experience
13. Maintain electronic medical records of patients in locked and secured manner with regular backup.
14. Maintain strict confidentiality with regards to patient’s medical records, patient management and treatment.
15. Assist in coordinating and providing to Head Doctor or UN Agency Doctors the essential clinical information for medical evacuations as needed.
16. Provide medical emergency care and in providing medical support during evacuation and repatriation and advise evacuees on the requirements for evacuation and/or escorting patients if needed.
17. Determine patient disposition when necessary (e.g. continued observation and primary treatment, referral, medical evacuation or other);
18. Be available and on-call for consultation 24 hours.
19. Plan health promotion and illness/injury prevention training campaigns for WFP and other UN agency employees in coordination with the WFP Wellness Division.
20. Facilitate referral to appropriate qualified specialist or to other qualified hospitals/private clinics, as required.
21. Participate in weekly peer review meetings with Head Doctor to review clinical cases.
22. Ensure preparedness of employees travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccines, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel- related ailments; Perform other related duties as required.
Medical Administrative Duties
1. Recommend medical evacuation when required to the Head Doctor or regional medical doctor.
2. Undertake Entry, Periodic/Exit Medical Examinations, provide certificate for Sick Leave when appropriate, make recommendations for Medical Travel as needed.
3. Maintain strict patient confidentiality by not sharing medical records with agency/employer Ensure proper follow up and if required, referral on all cases.
4. Document all case findings, referrals, and follow up; Establish good relations with reliable hospitals and private medical facilities.
5. Ensure that proper medical records are kept in a strictly confidential manner.
6. Perform any other duties as requested by the Head Doctor or EMAT project manager.
1. Maintain up-to-date inventory of the EMAT Clinic Pharmacies, medical/diagnostic supplies, equipment, and consumables requesting replenishment before running out and sending inventory report to the project manager as required.
2. Maintain a 24-hour roster of available specialists for referral and treatment.
3. Check equipment and supplies at every rotation and maintains them in working order.
4. Ensure that any single use medical instruments are properly disposed of any reusable medical instruments are properly sterilized.
5. Maintain the clinic in a neat, clean, well-organized condition.
6. Sending timely and accurate consultation report and other activity reports to the project manager as requested.
7. Participate in internal meetings and in external meeting representing EMAT as requested.
8. Perform other related duties as required.
|STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS|
• Education: University degree in Medicine or demonstrably equivalent studies from a recognized institution. Registration as a General Practitioner in the country of origin is required. (Doctorate, Masters or equivalent is an added advantage).
• Additional training and certification in emergency cases management will be an advantage (ACLS/PHTLS).
• Experience: Minimum five (5) years of progressively responsible professional post graduate experience relevant to the field is required. Experience either working in a hardship location under difficult and insecure environments is an asset.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Specialist expertise in the assessment of medical health needs and the assessment of risk.
• Demonstrated skills to create a trusted environment in which patients can talk confidentially.
• Ability to manage medical emergency situations with limited resources.
• Excellent clinical knowledge and skills.
• Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation).
• Analytical ability
• Ability to communicate effectively with people of both genders and diverse national and cultural backgrounds.
• Skills in designing and delivering trainings/information sessions on a number of subjects and ability to adapt those to different audiences.
• Time management
• Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of other local languages is an added advantage.
|Min. Monthly Salary||:||Pay Scale|
|Max. Monthly Salary||:||Pay Scale|