|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 28, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor (SSISO Project) Grade: 9
Department: Ethiopia Country Office, A/A June 2021
Summary Scope of Work
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor will provide technical leadership and management oversight for monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) activities for UBS Optimus Foundation funded “Strengthening Systems for Improved Surgical Outcomes (SSISO)” Project. The goal of the project is to build capacity in operational efficiency and patient safety, along with ongoing mentoring, and use of affordable innovations to improve surgical system performance and surgical outcomes. The SSISO project introduces a multidiscipline team-based mentorship model using a hub-and-spoke approach to build surgical system capacity in 100 target facilities care (tertiary, secondary, primary) in eleven regions across Ethiopia for reduction of surgery related death and morbidity, particularly of pregnant women and newborns. The Project will operate up to June 2022.
The MEL Advisor will provide technical leadership for systematic data collection, analysis, synthesis, use and communication of data and learning to inform project and health sector stakeholder decision-making at Federal, Regional, and target health facilities.
The MEL Advisor will work closely with the Ministry of Health (MOH), Regional Health Bureaus (RHBs), project intervention health facilities and other relevant stakeholders, to build their capacity to generate and use surgical related data for decision making.
S/he will be responsible for development and execution of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plans and data systems to ensure accurate, timely and efficient performance monitoring and reporting, and for documenting and disseminating project successes, challenges and lessons learned to UBS, MOH and others.
- Position Reports To: Project Director ; functionally to M&E and research Director
- Position Supervised: None
Responsibilities: All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of responsibilities are expected to
- Model the mission and values stated above.
- Participate in the business development process.
- Contribute to the knowledge sharing and transfer process
- Make responsible decisions that result in both time and cost containment and clear accountability.
Specific Duties and responsibilities
Leadership and Program Management
- Ensure the project achieves its goals and corresponding objectives by monitoring targets and visualization
- Oversee development and implementation of the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (AMELP) or Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP) consistent with Ethiopia’s national monitoring and evaluation guidelines, protocols, information and reporting systems;
- Support the Project Director to champion holistic approaches to collaboration, learning and adaptive management, including establishing regular opportunities with key stakeholders to reflect on project progress and use information to adjust interventions as needed;
- Oversee development and management of systems to efficiently track, analyze, visualize, use and disseminate project performance and context monitoring data;
- Supports and supervises collection and analysis of data for project M&E in accordance with timeframes set forth in the work plan
- Train and mentor project staff and stakeholders in MEL methods, tools, and systems as appropriate;
- Support the documentation of best practices/program learnings and facilitate the use of such data to demonstrate project results
- Lead results reporting to UBS by analyzing MEL activities and indicator results for monthly progress and end of project reports;
- Ensure quality of data through data verification procedures, including data quality audits that are routinely carried out during the project lifecycle;
- Ensure relevant data is entered into JADE, Jhpiego’s organization-wide performance management system
- Provide leadership for relevant and appropriate dissemination and sharing of program data with stakeholders
- Oversee and/or lead to conduct assessments, evaluations, implementation research and program learning by ensuring research ethical/compliance with Government of Ethiopia and Johns Hopkins University institutional review board policies
- Ensure protection of participant data and confidentiality during all monitoring, evaluation and research implementation and dissemination processes
- § Perform statistical analysis independently to syntheses the project M&E and research data for decision making
- Cultivate strategic M&E relationships and alliances with other projects and represent M&E activities in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Support other projects MEL activities as needed
- Identify potential opportunities for new business and new or leveraged funding sources;
- Participate in surgical related proposal development activities
- Master’s degree in public health, health informatics, Monitoring and Evaluation, demography, statistics, or related field
- Minimum seven years of work experience in monitoring and evaluating on large, multi-year international health sector development projects; preferred in surgical related activities
- Deep understanding of the Ethiopian health system
- Proven capacity to communicate data in accessible and engaging ways – experience in innovative visualization of results an advantage
- Proven expertise in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis methodologies/e.g. STATA, SPSS/, implementation research approaches, human resource and health management information systems, DHIS2, reporting, data quality assessments, data analysis and visual data presentation
- Demonstrated strong capacity building experience, management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts in both the public and NGO sectors
- M&E experience in health systems strengthening especially in health service delivery, health management information system and other national M&E systems
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with UBS host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building, and representational skills
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English and Amharic
- Liaise with Jhpiego and partners’ technical experts to ensure that MEL strategies and interventions are technically sound and evidence-based
- Ensure programmatic successes, challenges and lessons learned are documented systematically for internal use and external audiences.
- Promote an organizational learning culture across Jhpiego and other implementing partners and ensure the sharing of such knowledge across the program; and
- Support dissemination program learning through technical reports, conference abstracts, and peer-reviewed publications
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
- Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format.
- Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter.
- Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name in PDF format.
- CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES MUST NOT BE SUBMITTED.
- The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter.
- Applicants must use this E-mail HREthiopia@jhpiego.org to submit applications and make sure to state the job position title applying for in the subject line.
- Applications not fulfilling the requirements stated above will automatically be rejected.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is July 5, 2021.