|Location||Gerbo Woreda, Somali, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 15, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Context of the mission
Médecins du Monde (MDM) is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
In January – February 2019, MdM France (MdM-F) and MdM Germany (MdM- Ge) conducted a joint-Fact Finding Mission in the Somali region. The goal of this mission was to assess the humanitarian needs caused by ongoing drought and conflict and evaluate intervention options for MdM. The assessment covered three zones: Gerbo, Qubi and Lagahida. After successful submission of the project proposal to the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO), the 24-month project has been launched 1 July 2019.
The project aims primarily to improve access to and the quality of health services with a focus on life-saving Mother and Child Health (MCH) interventions. The proposed activities include ensuring high-quality basic emergency obstetric and newborn care (BEmONC) at the Gerbo health centre; improving MCH services at Molayko health centre. The focus will be on capacity-building, training and mentoring, equipment and medical supplies, and community sensitization. In relation to improving prevention, monitoring and control of epidemics in this region, such as acute watery diarrhoea (AWD) and measles, the focus is also on support of infection prevention and control (IPC)/medical waste management in the 2 health centres (HC) and capacity-building in vaccination routine/outreach, cold chain management for staff at the healthcare facilities (both the 2 health centres and the 7 health posts). The screening, identification, management and treatment of acute malnutrition (moderate and severe) will also be improved, using community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM) approach, both at healthcare facilities and through targeted outreach activities in communities. WASH activities will be integrated into the health and nutrition activities, e.g. by ensuring availability of hand-washing stations and drinking water supplies in the 2 supported health centres. MdM F and MdM Ge will implement this new project jointly, with MdM F being the lead in the first year and a coordinated handover to MdM Ge during the project period.
Duty Station: Gerbo Woreda – Nogob zone, Somali region
Start Date: Immediately
Contract duration: 6 months with the possibility of extension
Hierarchical & Functional links:
- The Midwife will be managed directly by the Gerbo Programme Coordinator, with technical support from the Medical Coordinator in Addis.
Essential Duties and responsibilities:
The midwife will be responsible for supporting the full package of MCH services in Molayko Health Centre (HC) and creating demand from the communities.
- Build the capacity of Molayko HC health staff to deal with MCH services, including timely referral to Gerbo;
- Coordinate and supervise the Community mobilizer;
- Work closely with the health team of Molayko HC;
- Ensure smooth implementation of the project activities.
Key activities areas
Provision of support to the HC:
- Mentor the government health staff in the provision of MCH services (ANC, PNC, Family Panning, Comprehensive Abortion Care; and delivery ) and implement quality training and follow up based on national standards and guidelines;
- Assess the priority gaps and develop an action plan;
- Train the staff on infection prevention and control (IPC)
- Support the provision compassionate and respectful care at the HC;
- Demonstrate behavior that upholds the public trust in the services provided.
Implementation of health education sessions:
- Organize health education sessions for the patients and the community;
- Conduct outreach sensitization sessions in coordination with the Community Mobilizer;
- Spread main messages about health education for the following topics: immunization, antenatal care, post-natal care, assisted delivery, family planning, at-risk pregnancies, and Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF).
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Degree in Midwifery
- Experience in planning and implementation of MCH activities
- Strong organizational skills in emergency situations and autonomous in daily operations
- Excellent reporting skills
- Good communication skills
- Fully fluent in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Showing flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability;
- Capacity to work and to live in a remote and isolated area
- Experience/knowledge of the Somali region is a plus
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send their application letter including updated curriculum vitae with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees through firstname.lastname@example.org email. If possible, please send all the above in one document – MS Word or PDF by writing the job title on the subject line.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.