|Location||Tuliguled, Somali, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 18, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states - Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara - and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work, and seek to integrate approaches, programs and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development and private sector actors, civil societies and communities. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Midwifery
Location: Tuliguled, Somali Region
Number of Positions: One
Program / Department Summary
The project is intended to reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with under nutrition and increased illnesses of conflict induced communities who do not have access to primary health care services and basic nutrition services.
General Position Summary
The position holder shall be in charge of technical quality implementation and delivery of high quality maternal health services and working with the mobile health and Nutrition team in the assigned woreda to improve services accessibility for the mobile community. S/He will mainly be responsible for the daily implementation of the antenatal, postnatal care services, support pregnant mothers to deliver at health facility and arranged referral services. Consulting and providing family planning services based on informed decision of mothers, providing immunization service for children and women, health education, sanitation, safe motherhood and child health as per the pastoralist area mobile health and nutrition guideline.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
· Collaborate with other team member for effective integration between other services like Nutrition and health services
· Collaborate with Local authorities and other partners to harmonize different efforts for better impact and sustainability.
· Able to learn and update his/ her information or knowledge to adapt the changing situation and context
- Provide basic maternal and child health services like ANC, PNC, Family planning services, immunization for children, pregnant and non-pregnant mothers, facilitate referral service for pregnant mothers to delivers at health facilities and provide health education.
- Facilitate training, closely work with MOH staffs at Health posts, Health center and hospital and district level.
§ Organize daily, weekly and monthly over view and reports of ANC, PNC, EPI, family planning services and health education
- Ensure referral system and linkage between services and with the health facilities
§ Adherence to safe motherhood protocols and procedures for better maternal health service.
§ Provide onsite training to HEW and nurses.
§ Ensure Job aids are available at Health posts (HEW quick reference, Look up table, report format, tally sheet and supply stock control balance form)
- Compile weekly reports from each mobile service delivery point and share to team leaders or health offices.
- Participate in capacity building training, in health education sessions BCC application
- Follow up absentees/defaulters from ANC services
- Supports the program integration with nutrition services for children and PLW through proper referral linkage while they are malnourished.
- Supports and liaise with the health centre staff and provide on the job training and capacity building.
- Makes sure that health professionals from the health facilities to participate on the daily routine work for sustainability and smooth phase out strategy,
· Provide onsite training to HEW and nurses.
· Mentoring and assist HEW in decision of patients who are at severe risks and need to be transferred to nearby hospital
· Supports the program integration with DPPO and MoH through on job trainings and supervisions
· Support the other team member during site selection and prepare weekly movement plan
· Liaison with the woreda health office and health centers to get vaccine and supplies for family planning services on a daily basis
· Mentoring and assist HEW at facility level to provide better maternal care services enable them improve their technical skills
Finance & Compliance Management
Influence & Representation
· Train and support community volunteers and make sure they transmit/convey messages clearly to the community
· Creates and maintain relationship with local health and other authorities to link services with the existing health structure smoothly,
· Upholds the image and values of Mercy Corps at all times,
Knowledge and Experience
· Diploma or BSC in midwifery and Minimum four years work experience in NGOs environment as MHNT out of which two years is in clinical setups.
· Knowledge, training and experience on safe motherhood practices, family planning, IMNCI/ICCM
· Demonstrated skills in program planning, implementation and monitoring.
· Demonstrated skills in peer group training and counseling
· Strong computer (Microsoft skills), and interpersonal skills.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
· Good command in written and spoken English and Local language is a must
· Good human relation skills.
· Willingness to work under pressure and extra hours
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel to villages and willingness to reside in rural areas
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to distribution sites
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in closely working with regional and Woreda Health Office ,health centres and health posts
- Communication skill, good human relations
Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants personal inquiries are not permitted.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 23 September, 2020/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address:
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974