Migration and Livelihood Development Advisor
|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 31, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
GIZ Internal/ External Vacancy Announcement #010 /2020
The Horn of Africa region is hosts two of the largest refugee situations of the world and at the end of 2018, 8,920,000 of the world’s 41.3 million IDPs displaced by conflict and violence lived in the IGAD region. In addition, according to the IDMC report more than 1 million were displaced by recurrent droughts and natural disasters have displaced more than half a million IDPs were displaced by natural disasters in 2018. The majority of IGAD member countries are at the same time countries of origin, transit and reception of migrants and refugees. Mobile population groups consist of internally displaced persons, refugees, seasonal migrant workers, labour and education migrants and pastoralists. Regular migration routes in the region have so far been very limited. IGAD has a mandate to harmonize regional and national migration policies, to implement global policy processes, to promote knowledge management and dialogue and to support cross-border cooperation. This is where the “Strengthening IGAD Migration Policy Implementation (SIMPI)” comes in, by improving the implementation of this mandate with the following components in the area of migration and displacement: -
Component (1) Strengthening IGAD's capacity to implement international, continental and regional migration and refugee frameworks in member countries.
Component (2) Strengthening local administration’s capacities in selected IGAD member states in providing services to host communities, refugees and migrants in border regions.
Component (3) Strengthening regional learning and migration data management in the IGAD region.
To further strengthen the diversity of our team we encourage the application of nationals of the following underrepresented IGAD member states: Djibouti, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Uganda.
Required Candidate: Two
The technical professional is responsible for:
- Implementing daily operational aspects of all issues related to the project, specifically component 2 of the SIMPI project
- Processing and facilitating technical aspects of the establishment of cross border facilitation units in the border areas of Metema/Galabat or Moyale/Moyale
- Keeping close relations to Local Government Institutions (LGI) and NGOs in the border areas.
Management and Coordination:
- Coordinates and assists in preparing and conducting project activities in border regions and carries out other activities required for implementing component 2 of SIMPI
- Assists the recruitment process of development advisors including the identification of partners
- Regularly consults with GIZ supervisor on all project activities,
- Is jointly responsible with the partner institution for preparing, implementing and documenting training events, workshops, forums, team meetings and other project activities
- Support the conducting of assessments and baseline studies to be conducted in the project area
- Supports needs assessment of local governments in border region
- Supports needs assessment of migrants and host communities
- Supports livelihood development strategies development together with migrants, host communities, and LGI officials
- Provides technical assistance to local and international experts
Knowledge Management and Communication
- Develops and maintains contact with all important stakeholders
- Ensures knowledge management, collects, processes and distributes relevant information monitors communications and interaction between government institutions, NGOs and civil society
- Establishes and sustains network of relevant stakeholders in the project area
- Collecting data for the M&E system of the project
- Other duties might be assigned as necessary by the component or project leader
Required qualifications, competencies and experiences
University degree in urban planning, rural development, economics, or social science, with a focus on integrated planning, migration and displacement.
At least 5 years of professional experience in a comparable position
Other Knowledge and Experiences
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies
- Strong managerial and organizational competence
- Willingness to travel and have extended stays in remote border regions
- Excellent knowledge of English