|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 30, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Contract |
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: a matrix management arrangement whereby the position will have a line management relationship with Head of Sponsorship and functional or dotted line management relationship with Head of MEAL of the Ethiopia CO.
Dimensions: Save the Children works in 9 regions in Ethiopia with a current staff complement of approximately 1,800 staff and current expenditure of approximately $90+ million each year.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Sponsorship Impact Area MEAL Managers
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Management and Leadership
- Provide overall supervision and leadership on the MEAL functions and strategy delivery at Project level
- Provide supervision, mentorship and professional development to MEAL staffs in Project so that staffs have the required capacity and enthusiasm to undertake their responsibilities
- Provide oversight of MEAL budget and ensure effective and timely utilization for the appropriate MEAL activities
- Be the key link among the CO MEAL team, Project level operations team and PDQ team at Addis
- Ensure MEAL evidences (IPTT, project performance/action trackers, etc) are used for management decision making and continuous performance improvement and be part of the Project level management team members/.
- Contribute to the preparation and consolidation of Sponsorship Annual Reports (SAR) and Sponsorship Annual Plan (SAP) as directed by the global sponsorship and CO sponsorship leadership.
- Contribute to the production of quarterly sponsorship reports.
MEAL System Development and Management
- Undertake responsibilities for the roll-out of the MEAL system in sponsorship impact areas
- Ensure that all sponsorship programs have robust and updated MEAL plans and rolled out regularly
- Together with CO MEAL team install and operate automated MEAL system that will be accessible for sponsorship program teams and provide real time information
- Ensure that MEAL Team, area operations and project staff understand the various steps and tools for the MEAL system and that this is used consistently across projects / areas.
- Ensure that the quality of sponsorship programs is regularly and systematically tracked by relevant program teams and improved by developing, adapting and rolling out of a comprehensive Quality Benchmarks (QBMs) that take into account SCI’s programming quality standards Support on the design and roll-out of standardized monitoring tools and methodologies as required by the CO and Global Sponsorship directions and in reference to the sponsorship program QBMs
- Ensure functional accountability mechanisms are in place as the four pillar of accountability (Information sharing, participation, establishing and implementing Compliant and Feedback Mechanisms (CFM), and staff capacity building. This includes ensuring that communities and children know their rights and entitlements, have access to project information and participate in decisions that affect them; have access to safe and responsive mechanisms to handle their complaints and feedback and the automation of the accountability system for sponsorship program
- By working with program monitoring teams, ensure that regular monitoring/MEAL reports are produced and shared with program staff for action in general and Head of Sponsorship, CO MEAL Head and other relevant bodies of the CO in particular
- Ensure periodic report are backed with evidences and lessons learnt from programs and they are of high quality Produce and share MEAL quarterly reports using smart tools and dashboards.
Learning and Knowledge Management
- Effectively manage the evidence and learning works of sponsorship program
- Within the framework of the CO’s evidence and learning lead the production of high quality evidences and best practices of sponsorship programs and disseminate those in coordination with CO Evidence and Learning team
- With the support the CO Evidence and Learning team, build the capacity and system of sponsorship program teams as part of the effort of building strong evidence and learning system at all levels of the program
- Together with CO’s evidence & learning team and sponsorship program teams identify learning objectives/agendas, plan, coordinate and lead the execution of researches and evaluation exercises of sponsorship programs
- Ensure utilization of learning and knowledge generated in decision making and program improvement (maintain up to date Project action tracker and monitor the utilization and application)
Technical Support and Capacity Building
- Undertake continuous staff capacity assessment and develop capacity building plans
- Provide training and capacity building for field-level staff as required
- Ensure relevant staffs received proper orientations, inductions, training to help them deliver their MEAL responsibilities
- Sets standard and agreed performance objectives for all direct reports
Program design, research, evaluations, assessments and other studies
- Closely manage the implementation of sponsorship’s longitudinal study of learning and development in Central Tigray.
- Contribute to the work of updating sponsorship program design based on program phases and cycles.
- Participate in sponsorship program designing process and ensure MEAL components (monitoring, evaluation, assessment/baseline, accountability and learning) are appropriately planned for and adequately budgeted in the program design.
- Ensure projects/programs have SMART objectives & indicators, MEAL plan and are in consistency to each other
- In coordination with the CO MEAL ensure evaluations are undertaken as per the threshold and maintain up-to-date evaluation trackers to monitor delivery and action planning
- Lead/participate in project/ program baseline, evaluations, researches and assessment activities in his/her areas of jurisdiction
SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
KEY COMPETENCIES (Save the Children competency framework – to Skilled level)
- Leading and inspiring others
- Delivering Results
- Developing Self and Others
- Problem Solving and decision making
- Innovating and adapting
- Applying Technical & Professional Expertise
- Working effectively with others
- Communicating with Impact
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least BSc/BA degree in an area of social development or equivalent.
- Recommended a minimum of eight years, out of which three NGO management experience in a M&E role in both emergency and development contexts, preferably with solid experience in more than one of the following priority sectors: education, protection, rights governance, HIV/AIDs, health and nutrition, and emergencies
- Direct experience of rolling out and managing M&E systems and of working on all aspects of MEAL
- Demonstrated commitment to building staff capacity, skills in training and capacity building
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated skills in producing info-graphics and dashboards.
- Ability and willingness to travel to field sites and work in remote locations, often for prolonged periods of time
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Fluency in English, and other national/local languages both verbal and written essential
- Commitment to Save the Children values
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.