|Location||Gambella, Gambela, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 26, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer
Reports to: Area Manager
Grade – G
Start of Contract & Duration: One year
Posting date: June 23, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer will provide technical support to all projects and oversee all MEAL activities, including assisting project teams in defining indicators, developing data collection tools and data collection methodologies, and leading data assessments and project audits in the Gambella field offices. The Officer will collaborate closely with the Addis Ababa-based MEAL Manager, Accountability Officer and program team to ensure compliance with DRC’s MEAL requirements and best practices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure full compliance with DRC’s Minimum Monitoring Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Standards in all projects implemented by the Gambella field office.
- Lead the development of MEAL components of project proposals, including the development of indicators and project-specific MEAL plans. MEAL plans and DIP will be developed in close collaboration with program teams and will be used to populate DRC’s Performance Monitoring Tracker (PMT), which will be used by the program and MEAL teams to provide monthly updates and analysis of progress against indicators.
- In close collaboration with the Addis Ababa-based MEAL Manager and the program team, develop sector-specific data collection tools and ensure their proper use by implementing teams. The position will ensure the timeliness and quality of data collection, and ensure all captured data is managed according to protection information management standards and best practices.
- In collaboration with the MEAL Manager, lead field-level assessments, including baseline, mid-term, end-line and post-distribution monitoring surveys.
- Produce monthly analysis reports with updates on the implementation status of all assigned projects. This will entail flagging areas of concern, developing recommendations for corrective actions to share with the Area Manager, implementing teams and MEAL Manager, and documenting lessons learned.
- In collaboration with the MEAL Manager facilitate field-level learning events to capture, document and disseminate lessons learned for internal and external purposes.
- Under the guidance of the MEAL Manager, conduct internal project audits with an eye to ensuring means of verification are documented and reflect data reported by the implementing teams.
- Identify and conduct MEAL-related capacity building needs and opportunities for DRC’s program staff in the Gambella field office and assume responsibility for facilitating trainings on Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS), and beneficiary feedback and response mechanisms.
- In collaboration with the country-level Accountability Officer, assume responsibility for the implementation of and compliance with DRC Ethiopia’s Beneficiary Feedback and Response Mechanism, and all associated tools and SOPs, in the Gambella field office.
- Coordinate with regional technical lines bureaus and the Administration for Refugees and Returnee Affairs (ARRA) for reporting purposes and during project monitoring exercises and terminal evaluations.
- Provide support in preparing and reviewing reports and verifying consistency between collected data, means of verification, the PMT and donor reports.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
· Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- University degree in statistics, economics, social sciences or related discipline
- A minimum of 3 years of MEAL experience within the humanitarian or NGO field.
- Demonstrated experience translating log frames and results frameworks into monitoring plans, developing data collection tools and protocols, leading data collection and management process, designing and managing databases, and analyzing data.
- Proven technical skills in monitoring and evaluation and experience with both qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Excellent analytical, presentation, and report writing skills.
- Experience using software applications such as Excel, Access, or statistics software such as SPSS, STATA.
- Previous experience with electronic or mobile data collection.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please note that we receive applications up to July 4, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.