|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 18, 2020|
|Category|| Economics |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #101/2020
Support to the Reform Partnerships
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on commission of the Ethiopian government and international donors.
Ethiopia and Germany have recently concluded a reform partnership as a new and ambitious form of bilateral cooperation. Through those reform partnerships Germany provides substantial additional support to “reform champion” countries in their efforts to implement macroeconomic and political reforms in order to strengthen the framework conditions for private sector engagement. Reform partnerships aim to promote sustainable economic development, private investment and job creation in order to improve the income, economic prospects and living conditions of Africa's population, particularly young people.
The services of the project “Support to the Reform Partnerships” is on the one hand aimed at the entire German Development Cooperation structure and on the other hand at the partner government in Ethiopia. The focus is on the support for the conception, implementation and further development of the reform partnerships, especially with regard to impact monitoring and reporting, communication and knowledge management in order to strengthen the cooperation and coordination mechanisms.
Position: National Advisor
Place of Work: Addis Ababa
Required Candidate: One
Application deadline: August 17, 2020
The National Advisor will perform the following tasks:
a) Core Scope
- Technical and strategic advice to the partner government on the implementation and further development of the reform partnership (e.g. preparation of studies, analyzes);
- Support in monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the reform partnership;
- Organizational, logistical support of the partner government in the implementation of the political dialogue in the country (e.g. preparation and follow-up of appointments, secretarial function for the steering structure);
- Organization of activities for capacity development of the relevant actors on the partner side (e.g. workshops, training, study trips);
- Organization of peer-to-peer learning (on request and in cooperation with other donors); Peer-to-peer learning can be carried out across borders or within the country between relevant actors (e.g. different departments).
b) Other duties/additional tasks
- Acts on behalf of the Project Manager during periods of his absence;
- Represents GIZ vis-à-vis third parties on behalf of the superior and maintains a good and effective communication with partner organizations
- Ensures that partner organizations are fully up to date with regards to project activities and challenges through regular monitoring and reporting;
- Close cooperation with other German Development Cooperation organisations such as the German Development Bank (KfW) as well as international donors in order to establish efficient mechanisms for information and knowledge exchange including (non-) state and private sector actors;
- Attendance of meetings/workshops/conferences, preparing and giving of presentations, writing of minutes;
- Focal point for cross-cutting issues within GIZ such as e.g. security, gender, or communication;
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Economics, Law, or Social or Political Sciences; if relevant work experience exists, BA Degree could be considered
- At least (5) years of professional working experience in economics, private sector development, investment, or labour markets
- Experience in the areas of governance, transparency, or accountability is an advantage
- GIZ experience is an advantage
Other knowledge, additional competences
- In-depth understanding of the ongoing reform process in Ethiopia
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills in the English and Amharic language, knowledge of German language is an advantage
- Very good analytical skills and interdisciplinary thinking
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Ability to meet deadlines to successfully deliver on a diversity of objectives
- Trustworthiness and ability to maintaining strict confidentiality and observing data protection and associated guidelines where appropriate.
- Ability to work independently, unsupervised, and as part of a multicultural and international team.
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘National Advisor #101/2020’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.