|Date Posted||April 25, 2020|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Contract |
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The work of UN Women Ethiopia Country Office (ECO) is guided by its 2017-2020 Strategic Note and other UN joint commitments that support the Government’s five-year Transformation plan. UN Women ECO in its health and gender programme works closely with the UN H6 partnership within the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and through joint programs. From 2018, UN Women ECO intensified its engagement in humanitarian work in Gambella supporting the Government in Gender equality and Women Empowerment areas.
In 2020, UN Women ECO will commence the implementation of the Programme On Women’s Empowerment in Sexual, Reproductive, Maternal, New-born, Child and Adolescent Health (SRMNCAH) rights in humanitarian settings in the Horn of Africa Region (POWER Programme) with funding from the Austrian Development Agency (ADA). The POWER Programme will contribute to UN Women’s overall goal, of every woman, every child, every adolescent girl, everywhere demands her rights to quality SRMNCAH services, particularly in humanitarian settings. To ensure that women, children and adolescents have equal access to reproductive health, it is necessary that existing gender biases in the social, cultural, institutional, legal and economic structures are addressed. UN Women ECO will utilize its comparative advantage, working on gender equality and through women’s empowerment to address the barriers that are preventing women, children and adolescents from demanding and realizing their rights to SRMNCAH services and seek to achieve the following outcomes in humanitarian settings:
Under the supervision of the UN Women Gender and Public Health Officer the program officer is responsible for facilitating and supporting the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the POWER Programme in Gambella, representing UN Women in different meetings at Gambella level and liaising with UN Women office in Addis Ababa.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of SRMNCAH – POWER programme in Gambella and ensure the objectives of the program is effectively addressed.
- Manage programme quality control and identification of potential challenges.
- Monitor trends and issues related to the programme implementation and support the development of strategic responses to opportunities and challenges.
- Prepare reports on activities, outputs and outcomes; and compile information which will support in preparations of UN Women ECO reports.
- Prepare reports, minutes and another document related to SRMNCAH and share it with UN Women ECO, EVAWG team.
- Develop training plan for SRMNCAH project, organise and be a resource person in workshops and training related to SRMNCAH.
- Share with local and international partners in Gambella region relevant guidelines and information materials on Humanitarian sector, SRMNCAH
- Promote information sharing on all aspects of SRMNCAH and UN Women role in UN coordination on gender and partnership at field level.
- Ensure regular update and share information within UN Women as well as with relevant government, UN Agencies and NGOs and development partners in Ethiopia on the health status and needs of women and girls that would support further resource mobilization.
- Manage the monitoring of mutually agreed results frameworks and performance indicators.
- Coordinate the process of gathering information and preparing progress reports on programme implementation; provide technical inputs to the narrative donor and UN Women internal reports on SRMNCAH.
- Build strategic partnerships and maintain close liaison with local partners, ensuring meaningful participation of all relevant stakeholders.
- Create and coordinate partnership with local authorities, service providers, developmental actors, women’s organizations and other stakeholders in target region.
- Ensure coordination with relevant UN working groups and information sharing at Gambella level.
- Manage the process of identifying and synthesizing of best practices and lessons learned that are directly linked to the implementation of the programme and contribute to their global dissemination.
- Provide substantial contribution into the programme’s communications and visibility plan and its implementation.
- Any other duty as may be required
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management
- Good knowledge of UN programme management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Social work, sociology, Public Health, Gender studies and Human Rights.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Additional training/certification in project/programme management and SRMNCAH related issues would be an added advantage
- At least three years of progressively responsible experience in programme management, including programme design, programme coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building, preferable related to advancing gender equality and promoting women’s health rights;
- Knowledge/experience with public health, including sexual and reproductive health, women’s health, preferably in humanitarian context;
- Experience in setting priorities, budgets, work plans, participating in programme development and programme writing;
- Strong concept development, presentation and reporting skills;
- Experience in the UN system, agencies and international organizations is an asset;
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.