|Date Posted||November 27, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
You are a Rangeland Management Professional with sound experience in rangeland and/or livestock development, preferably in Afar Region. You are acquainted with participatory community development approaches. The Position of the National Rangeland Management Expert and Technical Advisor is a period-based position for 48 months. You support and supervise the implementation of SDR Phase II Project (2023-26). You work in close collaboration with and support the international CTA Dryland Management as a Technical Advisor.
Duty station is the consulting office in Semera with regular field trips throughout the Afar Region.
The tasks of National Rangeland Management Expert and Technical Advisor include but are not necessarily restricted to the following:
- Promote scaling up of mechanized Prosopis juliflora clearing and mechanized rangeland reseeding in selected pilot areas in collaboration with the Bureau of Livestock Agriculture and Natural Resources Development (BoLANRD);
- Support the development and implementation of sustainable rangeland rehabilitation & livestock development community plans in collaboration with BoLANRD and Support for Sustainable Development (SSD, NGO);
- Support BoLANRD, SSD and other partners in establishing a regional seed and seedling supply system;
- Develop and support capacity building measures of local partners in sustainable rangeland management and livestock development through participatory approaches;
- Promote agro-pastoral livelihood diversification activities;
- Collaborate with the Afar Pastoralist and Agro-Pastoralist Research Institute (APARI) in applied field research;
- Engage in project monitoring and steering.
Strengthening Drought Resilience of Pastoral and Agro-pastoral Livelihoods in Ethiopian Arid and Semi-arid Lands (ASAL), Ethiopia
Assignment period: 48 Person Months
Expected starting date: January 2023
Remuneration Negotiable: According to GITEC salary scale
Please only apply if you qualify for the following:
- MSc degree in livestock management, rangeland management, natural resources management or a similar discipline (land use planning, agriculture, rural development etc., possibly specialization on livestock and/or rangeland management);
- Acquaintance with participatory development methods in rural communities, preferably work experience in pastoral and semi-pastoral communities;
- Experience in donor-funded projects, institutional coordination, management of administrative procedures, networking;
- Acquaintance with environmental and social management framework approaches;
- Good communication skills in English, Amharic, Afar language would be an asset;
- High degree of personal integrity and inter-personal skills;
- Preparedness to work in remote locations under challenging conditions;
- Experience in the application of GIS and remote sensing tool is an advantage.
- At least 8 years of practical experience in rangeland management including aspects such as establishment of grazing rotation systems, de-bushing, pasture rehabilitation, establishment of water points, enrichment plantations of degraded rangelands, forage development, livestock development, etc. in dry and semi-dry areas;
- Working experience in Ethiopia with focus on drylands in low-land Ethiopia (Afar, Somali region).