|Location||ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 6, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
To strengthen the FMOH capacity in achieving NTD prevention and control targets, with a focus on trachoma mainly trichiasis (TT) surgery. The Technical Assistant (TA) will regularly report to the FMOH, Diseases Prevention and Control Directorate (DPCD) and Neglected Tropical Disease (NTD) Team. The TA with strategic guidance from the director and Team leader, will independently drive technical analysis, collaborate on programmatic management and direct technical support to overall implementation of the SAFE Strategy mainly TT Surgery with the regional health bureaus and implementing partners in the target regions. The TA will also be responsible for the TT surgery (Operation Sight Project) facilitating implementation, progress review and tracking towards set standards and targets, and preparation and submission of periodic narrative and financial reports.
Roles and responsibilities :
- With the guidance of FMOH and in collaboration with key stakeholders, coordinate the development of operational and implementation plans to scale up Trachoma morbidity management (TT surgery), monitoring and evaluation, grant management on TT surgery backlog clearance (Operation Sight Project).
- Provide oversight and technical support to regions including ensuring the timely and appropriate compilation and safeguard during all recommended woreda-level supporting documentations needed for the FMOH national dossier for validation of elimination of Trachoma as a public health problem.
- Track the TT surgery performance based on work plan and the TT backlog clearance strategy of FMOH.
- Analyse/review the scale-up and scale-down of trachoma intervention and trend in burden and epidemiology of trachoma through time and take appropriate corrective action in consultation with the MOH NTD Team.
- Participate in strategic planning processes, project designs, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and grant management in delivery of cost-effective services and ensure objectives are met in line with national policies and plans.
- Support Ministry of Health in developing annual reports, disseminating information on NTD activities, research and lessons learned at national and international levels. Provide technical assistance in developing a system for monitoring and evaluating TT surgery performance.
- Provide coordination and technical advice on resource allocation necessary to support the FMOH to deliver TT surgery through quality service and cost-effective manner.
- Involve in coordination of different NTD program forums like National Trachoma Task Force, Technical working groups, Annual and semi-annual review meetings, NTD research symposiums and conferences.
- Participate in coordination of trachoma and NTD capacity building workshops, provide Trachoma related capacity building training to RHB program officers, partners and other stakeholders.
- Follow up and facilitate the Operation Sight project related logistics and procurements so as to ensure smooth and timely delivery of TT surgery inputs to regions.
- Work in close collaboration with key CIFF colleagues and other partners to ensure Operation Sight project targets are met.
- Support other related NTD programs when needed and if requested by the NTD coordinator or program focal points.
Duration of Position
One year with possibility of extension subject to performance
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- BSc/MD and Masters in Public Health (MPH) with at least eight-years of experience and BSC/MD with eight-year experience from a recognized college or university
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience on NTDs program implementation and management, but mainly on Trachoma
- Fluency with project management tools, including creating and managing work plans and budgets
- Track record of successfully managing health programs
- Ability to coach, lead, and coordinate among a wide variety of partners from the regional to district levels
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; detail oriented
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Able to troubleshoot, address challenges in an efficient and timely manner, and make sound programmatic decisions
- Proficient in data management and analysis
- Good command of MS Office software: Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and use of the Internet
- Experience working within government systems and/or experience influencing the policies of government agencies, private sector organizations or donor organisations – particularly in the NTD sector
- A strategic and innovative thinker with a pragmatic and solution-oriented mindset.
- A self-starter, with resilience, pace, and interpersonal flexibility.
- Willingness to travel to the regions, zones and woredas including remote areas. Excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Additional local language skills is an advantage.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application indicating for which duty station they are applying for, non-returnable CVs and copies of all documents together with original documents to Ministry of Health Human Resource Administration Directorate within 10 working consecutive days.
MINSTRY OF HEALTH
HUMAN RESOURCE ADMINISTRATION
BLOCK 1 FIRST FLOOR