|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 15, 2022|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Elevate Scholarship programme is designed to strengthen the future of the news business by embracing and elevating historically under-represented and disadvantaged groups below the senior management level at news media companies.
Through Elevate Scholarships, the International News Media Association (INMA) and the Google News Initiative (GNI) want to equip new faces and voices with strong news industry fundamentals as well as networking and mentoring opportunities.
Removing obstacles for equitable inclusion in news industry training and development can shatter the glass ceiling for professionals from under-represented groups, which hampers innovation and the future of news media.
To be considered for the Elevate Scholarship, you must:
- Be employed by a news media companyHold a position below senior management at your organisation
- Be in the business of news media for less than 15 years
- Be under age 45
- Aspire to become a top manager at a news media company
- Be a part of an under-represented and disadvantaged group within your country.
Criteria for selection
- Criteria: INMA and the Google News Initiative will award up to 50 Elevate Scholarships based on the applicant’s needs, aspirations, barriers, and the stories they tell in the application process.
- Who should apply: The Elevate Scholarship is for those in early- to mid-level career positions at a news media company. These positions might include marketing coordinators, writers, Web developers, designers, event coordinators, public relations heads, data developers, and many others. Individuals who apply will be looking to grow their career, develop leadership skills, and move into higher level positions within their companies.
- “Under-represented” context: Special consideration of the national context of under-representation and the barriers to overcome will be given in the prioritization process.
- Prioritization: Applicants will be prioritized vs. other applicants in the selection process.
- Diverse slate: We aim for a 2022 scholarship slate that represents diversity in all of its forms.
- Multiple competitions: INMA conducts multiple awards and scholarship competitions. You may apply for multiple scholarships, though winners of other INMA personal awards or scholarships in 2022-2023 are not eligible for an Elevate Scholarship.