|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 7, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Terms of employment: Contract
Duration of Contract: 6 Months
Duty Station: Ethiopian Public Health Institute, Addis Ababa
Reporting to: Food Science and Nutrition Research Directorate (FSNRD)/EPHI
The Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI) is a technical arm of the Federal Ministry of Health of Ethiopia responsible to conducting research in health and nutrition, managing public health emergency and providing reference laboratory services. Currently the Institute is conducting various researches in nutrition and health. Food Science and Nutrition Research Directorate (FSNRD) of the Institute is closely working with nutrition implementing sectors and development partners’ to make all program decision evidence based. To this end, the Food Science and Nutrition Research Directorate is planning to implement a National Food and nutrition survey. This survey will serve as a baseline for the implementation of the Food and Nutrition Strategy.
In view of this, EPHI would like to recruit a nutrition research coordinator/Advisor who will support the work of FSNRD. The incumbent will closely work, facilitate, and liaise with assigned experts at EPHI and other stakeholders.
Job Description (Main Duties and responsibilities)
1) Coordinate research projects
2) Technically lead activities planning, monitoring, and evaluating of progresses
3)Participate in collecting, reviewing, archiving and analysis of primary and secondary data relevant to research projects
4) Liaise with EPHI research directorate/units
5)Provide support to write manuscripts, technical reports from research findings
6) Produce a report, policy briefs from rigorous systematic reviews, in-depth analysis of studies etc.
7) Network with ministry of health, regional health bureaus and partners
8) Support other related activities as needed by the directorate
Graduate degree such as PhD in Human nutrition//Applied human nutrition, health, epidemiology, public health or public health/Applied human nutrition from a recognized academic institution.
Specialized training in research methods, public health systems or related is an advantage.
The incumbent must have experience of at least 12 years in research work with published articles (Minimum of 2 recent publications as first Author in last five years) in peer reviewed scientific journals. Hands on experience in designing research tools, training, and supervising research teams; preferably in research institutions is an asset.
· Ability to coordinate activities in research and/or academic and public health institutes
· Ability to conceptualize, devise and lead research, research strategies/ research themes
· Demonstrated experience in writing research proposals and protocols; designing tools; and conducting interviews, focus group discussions
· Be familiar with local and international research ethics
· Be able to use statistical software such as Stata, SPSS, R or SAS etc.
· Demonstrated research communication and interpersonal communication skills
· Ability and being proactive in team works.
· Experience working with/knowledge about existing health policies, the Ethiopian health sector development program strategies and plans and the health system strengthening activities of the country
· Ability to coordinate research workshops and conferences
· Ability to develop evidence use tracking mechanisms at national and regional levels
· Ability in disseminating research findings with different; publication, policy briefs
· Able to travel for data collection and supervision across all regions of the country at least 30% of his/her contract period.
Monitoring and Reporting
The consultant will work from EPHI which will arrange for workstation; and report to director of FSNRD and project team leaders. The coordinator expected to provide written report of his performance monthly and progress will be monitored including through periodic briefs/updates.
The consultant will be engaged for a total of 6 months with possible extension up on getting additional funding.
• Both the Civil service and EPHI Human Resource Development rules and regulations will be applied to guide the day to day services.
*As new priorities emerge, EPHI may periodically revise the TOR for this position.
Note:- Interested applicants can register in Online through only ethiojobs.net send their CVs and relevant documents at the address given below within10 days from the first appearance of the announcement
Remarks: Please attach copies of transcripts, academic degree or recommendation letters together with the application.