|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 10, 2021|
|Category|| Legal |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
ABOUT Ethiopian Airlines Group Primary Basic Trade Union (EAGPBTU)
EAGPBTU is exclusively administered by workers based on voluntary basis, and it is established to safeguard the right and interest of its members, to maintain industry peace, to improve working conditions; to create forum in order to enable employees have freedom of expression by having legal recognition from ministry of labor and social affairs and all concerned legal bodies. Being a member of the Ethiopian Workers Confederation and that of Transport and communication Industry Unions Federation, it also has good working relationship with other national and international peer workers unions. We’re one of the largest Unions in the country.
Ethiopian Airlines Primary Basic Trade Union (EAGPBTU) is looking for qualified candidate to fill Office Manager/Legal advisor position.
To Plan, Organize, Lead and Coordinate overall Labour Union office and its activities. Initiate, Design and produce strategic plan for the union in terms of labour management relation, Union office HR policy, leading and coordinating day-to-day union office activities, and serves as a legal advisor and focal person for the Union.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Office Management :-
- Oversee and monitor all administrative duties in the office and ensure that office is operating smoothly
- Lead, monitor, follow up and measure performance of departments & personnel of the Union office
- Develop office policies and procedures, and ensure they are implemented appropriately
- Identify opportunities for process and office management improvements, and design and implement new systems
- Provide administrative support, including scheduling meetings/events, maintaining calendars, doing research, and creating performance reports
- Manage contract and price negotiations with office vendors, service providers and office lease
- Responsible for managing office services by ensuring office operations and procedures are organized, correspondences are controlled, filing systems are designed, supply requisitions are reviewed and approved and that clerical functions are properly assigned and monitored
- Ensure that results are measured against standards, while making necessary changes along the way
- Assist the executives’ duties and assignments according to the Primary Union Code of Conduct /Procedure/ and Ethiopian Trade Union policies and procedures.
- Synchronize the Executives and the Labour office, Manage all office activities and control, direct and manage employees.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports and present to General Secretary and Executives.
- Prepare and present weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual performance report of the Labour Office, accumulate the financial performance from Finance officer and timely report to the Executive
- Monitor and follow up the performance of the employees under his/her supervision, set measurements and evaluate based on it and motivate them to improve individual performance.
- Benchmark and design new Labour relation and practical process to enhance the performance of the Labour office and perform duties effectively and efficiently etc…
- Serves as a legal advisor on Labour and Employment law, policy and procedures both for the Union executive and employees
- Train, coach and advisees shop stewards, chief stewards and union members and employees in overall employment and legal issues
- Prepare policies, note verbal and concept notes for union office
- Assist and consult the leader of the union during discipline hearing to make appropriate decisions conferring to the allied law and collective agreement to prevent the benefit of employees.
- Assist and consult members during submit their grievances and evaluate their cases per the collective agreement to protect their right and closely follow up until get final decision.
- Investigate and report cases to Executive meeting shall lead to court which the assigned leader augmented from discipline hearing committee as difference stand.
- Transfer directed affairs by executives to the union Attorney and closely follow active court cases.
- Follow up active court accusation with Attorney and covered his/her duties/court may be required his/her absent.
- Prepare legal documents, letters, lateral agreements etc…
Type of Appointment: 1-year with possibility of extension
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with the stakeholders
- Demonstrated analytical skills on issues related to employee relations
- Have demonstrated Experience in managing trade union or related offices
- Strong capacity and record in designing and writing proposals and reports
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in LLB or Management or employee relation from reputable university
- At least 5+ years of experience in the Trade Union, employee relation, labour activities/sectors in equivalent positions
- Demonstrated experience with rapid needs assessments for employee labour relation response
- Deep knowledge and understanding in Ethiopian labour law, collective agreement preparation and negotiation
- Good working relationship with ILO, ITC and MOLSA
- Demonstrated understanding of ITC and ILO standards
- Excellent command of written and spoken skill of English and Amharic
- Additional local and international language skill will be asset
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, deliverables and responsibilities associated with the position.
Only qualified candidates are invited to submit their motivation letter enclosed with maximum 4 pages detail CV in ONE COMBINED PDF written in English via our e-mail address UnionviceGeneralSec@ethiopianairlines.com , referring the position title “Office Manager/Legal advisor”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.