|Location||Dollo Ado, Somali, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 25, 2021|
|Category|| Logistics |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
SPECIAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Open to Internal & External Candidates
|Position Title||Operations Assistant (Field support)|
|Duty Station||Dollo Ado Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment||SVN, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations Units in various IOM Country Offices, coordinated under the Division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters (HQ), are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization's programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of mission and the direct supervision of Senior Operation Assistant – Field Support in Dollo Ado, the Operations Assistant - Field support is responsible for undertaking Field support activities, with the following duties and responsibilities.
In particular, he/she will undertake the following responsibilities and accountabilities
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Undertake field support activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, hotel, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or Sub-Office, or in relation to transportation. As required, monitor and guide teams of Operations Clerks and Operations Assistants in completing field support activities.
2. In coordination with Senior Operation Assistant – Field Support in Dollo Ado or National Field Operations Officer, lead Field Support Teams as they perform airport services, as well as perform airport services when required, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, pass permits, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems.
3. Lead Field Support Teams as they assist individuals at transit center or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s).
4. Assist in the coordination of timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at hotel, Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations. Work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard.
5. Work with units and departments and beneficiaries on pre-departure formalities including but not limited to travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Assist with daily discussions with beneficiaries on cleanliness, litter and hygiene. Keep all posters and informational messages up-to-date and placed in visible locations.
6. Provide assistance at hotel, transit center and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with hotel, third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise.
7. Lead the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit center and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging and handling is done appropriately and arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
8. Provide support to selection interview, medical and cultural orientation missions, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in hotel, transit center, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
9. Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Senior Operation Assistant – Field support or National Operation Officer and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention.
10. Alert Senior Operation Assistant – Field support or National Operation Officer or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
11. Undertake in country and out of country TDY’s including operational escort.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned by supervisor/s.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Five years experiences with university Degree in Business Management, Business administration, Social Sciences or related field of study.
· Experience on Hospitality, hotel and transportation service is a strong advantage.
· Refugee programs especially on IOM resettlement and movement management in Ethiopia
· Data recording, handling and reporting
· Strong computer skills - Word, Excel and Internet.
· Experience in using Microsoft Office packages - Outlook, Word, Access and Excel.
· In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
· Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
· Knowledge of financial rules and regulations.
· Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
· Fluency in English and Amharic (oral and written).
· Working knowledge of Somalia, Tigrigna, Arabic and other languages of refugees’ in Ethiopia is desirable.
Values and Competencies
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 3
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to use the Application Link to apply until July 07, 2021 at the latest.
No photocopies of educational/training certificates are required at this stage; applicants who do not follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!