|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 16, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The College of Health Sciences of Addis Ababa University is collaborating with the World Health Organization (WHO) in the multi-country trials to generate knowledge that will allow countries to hospitalize only young infants with possible serious bacterial infection (PSBI) who need hospitalization and treat the others on outpatient basis and for those who need hospitalization but improve early, continue their treatment at home. To this effect the College of Health Sciences seeks to hire Outcome Assessment Research Assistant (OA-RA) for the PSBI Trials that will be conducted in five sites in Addis Ababa, Oromia and Amhara regions. The PSBI Trials project will work closely with the ministry of health, Addis Ababa City Administration Health Bureau and Oromia and Amhara Regional Health Bureaus to implement the trials in selected sites.
The Outcome Assessment Research Assistant (OA-RA) will independently assess, record and report the study outcomes using the protocol for outcome assessment given by the study investigators. The OA-RA will be responsible for completing and electronically submitting outcome reporting forms for each young infant included in the studies. The OA-RA will strictly follow the standard operating procedure (SOP) and protocols laid out by the study investigators to ensure the study activities are implemented meeting high standards and high-quality data are generated.
Specific roles and responsibilities include
- Work with the Study Site Coordinator to plan and implement study activities at site level
- Complete outcome assessment forms at different patient contacts at health facility and at home for each sick young infant enrolled in the studies
- Submit outcome assessment data for each sick young infant enrolled in the studies
- Report performance, attend routine team meetings and routinely communicate with the Study Site Coordinator
- Work with other study team members and Study Site Coordinator to promptly identify and resolve challenges
- Align plan coordinate with other site study team members to implement study activities
- Ensure generation and use of high-quality screening and enrollment data
- Working closely with the Study Site Coordinator implement standard operating procedure (SOP) and protocols for the interventions and proper use of instruments and protocols for data collection;
- Create and nurture smooth working relationship with the study site health facilities and communities
- Develop monthly performance report and submit them to the Study Site Coordinator;
- Execute other tasks given by the Study Site Coordinator
Duration of work: 1 year with possible extension
Tentative Start Date: Immediately
Number of posts: Four
Station: Adama -2, Addis Ababa-2
- Medical Doctor/ Master’s degree with Zero year experience or Bachelor degree in health field with at least two years of experience
- Progressive responsibility in research projects is desirable
- Demonstrated experience using electronic device to collect data
- Familiarity with the Ethiopian health system, Ethiopian Ministry of Health and Regional Health Bureaus preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative assessment of patient care Demonstrated experience working in health facilities as frontline health worker managing sick children
- Written and verbal fluency in English and Amharic languages is required. Written and spoken fluency in Afan Oromo language is required for Adama site. Strong writing skills and exceptional oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, and teamwork skills necessary. Ability to handle and prioritize multiple project activities, balance conflicting priorities, and handle confidential information appropriately. Must exhibit tact and diplomacy in inter-cultural settings.
- Prior field research and academic experience related to maternal and newborn health in Ethiopia is desirable.
- Motorcycle driving skill is desirable
- Exceptional organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple tasks, and careful attention to detail.
- Prior experience working with electronic data collection and online databases, and demonstrated experience managing databases.