|Date Posted||November 30, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Pharo Foundation (the ‘’Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as a for-profit arm, Pharo Ventures. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with a strong focus on job creation.
Established in 2011 as a UK based non-profit, the Foundation has since made a strategic shift to directly design and implement its own programmes to ensure greater engagement with communities, better results, and increased accountability. The Foundation has carried out numerous projects in East Africa, with a focus on Ethiopia and Somaliland, and is now expanding operations in Rwanda and Kenya. The key strategic pillars for the philanthropic side of the Foundation are education, health, water, and agriculture. At the end of 2019, the Foundation also started its Pharo Ventures franchise to prioritize sectors where the Foundation believes a real impact can be made by establishing a self-sustaining business, which focuses on job and economic value creation.
The Pharo Primary School Assosa, in Benishangul Gumuz Regional State (BGRS), was established in 2020 by The Pharo Foundation with an aim of creating a high-quality learning environment where all students realize their full potential. The school will start a secondary school in the upcoming academic year 2022-2023 in addition to providing quality primary education to students from grades 1 to 8.
Our school follows the regional and national curriculum that is supplemented in various ways including reading materials, creative technology-based learning, and education technology solutions (we have well-structured instructional classrooms for active learning, continuous assessment, guidance & support, and an age-appropriate library, laboratories, ICT and pedagogical centres). Our school is a child-friendly learning environment that is organised in a way to treat all children in an equal and respectful manner and more importantly strives and work for students’ all-around development.
Headquartered in the UK (London), the Foundation has an operational head office in Kenya (Nairobi) with country offices in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa and Assosa), Somaliland (Hargeisa), and Rwanda (Kigali).
We are looking for a competent and committed teacher for our Pharo Schools, Assosa, who is passionate and dedicated to teaching. The teacher is a key resource for the schools and the qualified candidate is highly expected to discharge their duties with high standards of excellence in order to meet the schools’ objective of providing quality education service delivery for students in the surrounding community.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach knowledge and skills in art, including drawing, painting, lettering, and art history.
- Demonstrate techniques in activities such as drawing and painting.
- Instruct students in proper care and use of tools and equipment.
- Provide instruction by which students develop aesthetic concepts and appreciation and the ability to make qualitative judgments about art.
- Contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the school’s policies, practices and procedures in such a way as to support the school’s values and vision.
- Present lessons in a comprehensive manner and use visual/audio means to facilitate learning.
- Ensure timely preparation of annual plans, and weekly and daily lesson plans as required by the school policy.
- Assign reasonable tasks and homework to students. Be the custodian of the school’s calendar.
- Assess and record students’ progress and provide grades and feedback.
- Follow professional practices consistent with the school’s systems and policies.
- Interact in a professional manner with students, parents, school staff, and school leaders.
- Act in a confidential, ethical, and legal manner and be a role model to students.
- Motivate students and inspire continuous learning.
- Always strive for the best students’ learning outcomes.
- Supervise students at recess, lunchtime, study time, and in other assigned areas.
- Prepare materials to reinforce the regular classroom lesson under the Head-teacher’s direction.
- Strive to develop respect among students, staff, and school leaders.
- Shows courtesy, integrity, and follow-up for all assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate an effort of knowledge, skill, and attitude.
- Maintain confidentiality of students’ records.
- Engage actively in the implementation of the school’s co-curricular and social support activities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the community and parental role in the education of children.
- Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor.
Role: Performance & Visual Art Teacher
Location: Assosa, Benishangul Gumuz Regional State in Ethiopia
Required number: 1
Contract Type: Permanent
Reporting to: School Principal
Functional Relationships: Head of Education, Head of Academics
- BA Degree in major content taught or Diploma in Performance & Visual Art.
- 4 years of relevant teaching experience for BA holders and 6 years for Diploma holders.
- Practical teaching experience in private schools is preferable.
- Enough understanding, knowledge and applied experience in active learning instructional classroom and placing equal opportunities of learning based on learner’s level of acquisition.
- Understanding and experience of digital technology supported teaching approaches.
- Experience in an instructional classroom, co-curricular activities and community development tasks.
- Excellent computer knowledge of MS-Word, MS-excel, PowerPoint etc.
- Strong passion for and commitment to education.
- A role model across the school in terms of punctuality, attendance, positive engagement, and professional relations among staff.
- Positive disposition to involve the whole school community and take people forward together.
- Great attention to detail and a flexible approach to work.
- High level of commitment and self-motivation.
- High professional and ethical standards.
- Positive outlook and outgoing personality with solid interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Structured and process oriented.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to balance multiple priorities.
- Motivated to learn and perform and not afraid to ask questions.
- Willing to challenge the status quo and add value by introducing positive change.
- Excellent communicator and comfortable working in a team environment.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills in English, both verbally and in writing.