|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 20, 2020|
|Category|| Legal |
|Job Type|| Contract |
The Policy and Advocacy Officer Manages and coordinates ActionAid Ethiopia’s policy and advocacy engagement. The position holder manages policy and advocacy work and research, building evidence from grass root communities, reaching out to relevant social movements, engaging media, connecting to relevant actors particularly civil society organizations, and contributing to ActionAid Ethiopia’s program Framework and Country Strategic Plan. You will support developing clear policy positions on any collective priorities AAE is working on; ensuring that our National and international policy engagements on policy and advocacy are rooted in our communities and advance our local and national Programme practice and are developed in close cooperation with key partners, stakeholders, social movements and allies.
You will be the overall project officer and responsible person for a successful completion of projects, programs and initiatives on advocacy, and policy dialogue on all program priorities of the ActionAid Ethiopia. The role also includes project coordination providing technical assistance, on behalf of ActionAid Ethiopia, to all consortium members, partner and project management and coordination as per the scope of work of the program.
- Develop and execute a country level policy and advocacy engagement strategy Supports implementation of the core threads of work agreed by the Country Program and strategic partnership with EU and ActionAid affiliates and potential funding opportunity.
- Focusing on developing clear policy positions as needed and linking local, regional and national level policy engagement, sharing and learning externally and working with key allies and social movements to advance the CPs agenda on its policy advocacy works
- Support the design and implementation of Woreda, Regional and National policy and advocacy engagements and research on behalf of AAE.
- Maintains strong relationships with relevant partners, social movements, think thanks and regional and national allies to position ActionAid Ethiopia’s work on policy and advocacy.
- Identify other emerging policy issues / opportunities on the focus areas, advise the head of programme, and CD as relevant
- Identifying key external actors and opportunities at local, regional and national levels (partners and targets) with whom the CP needs to engage and ensuring that our strategies and programmes are informed by a strong understanding of the external environment and where shifts in power are most needed and most achievable.
- Manage projects related to governance, advocacy and policy influencing components in general and in particular EU funded CSF III, as assigned by the Country Programme.
- BA or master’s degree in Social science, Development Studies, Political science, Law, or other related social science fields.
Experience and Competencies
- A minimum of 4 year years of demonstratable substantive experience governance, advocacy, and policy role.
- Comprehensive understanding of rights-based approaches; youth national policies, program, strategies, and opportunities; and context of young people in Ethiopia and knowledge of civil societies context in Ethiopia.
- Previous experience of managing EU, Danida funded projects and Programmes.
- Strategic thinker and innovator, able to spot trends and opportunities before others and translate these into practical interventions
- Excellent advocacy, partnerships, consortium management and networking skills and connections at local and regional and national level
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, and Amharic and ability to persuade and motivate through communication.
- Good understanding of women and girls’ issues under Ethiopia social, political, economic and cultural context.
- Strong skills in policy advocacy, networking and influencing decision making from local to national levels
Reports to: Head of Programme
Duty Base: Addis Ababa, with frequent in country travel
Duration: Two years, with possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funding
Qualified and Interested applicants should submit cover letter addressing how you meet each of the essential criteria for the positions you apply, along with recent CV no later than August 31,2020 to ActionAid Ethiopia P.O. Box 1261Addis Ababa or email to hrod.[email protected]g. Please mention the Title of Position you apply for in the subject of your email.
“ActionAid will be conducting safeguarding reference checks on the successful candidate” Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.