|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 4, 2023|
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality, and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
The purpose of the Procurement Officer position is to effect procurement in a timely and cost-effective manner and in compliance with CARE Ethiopia’s procurements policies and procedures. The Procurement Officer will support units in their respective purchase requests and ensure that purchases are made in the best interests of CARE. S/he in turn will support the Senior Procurement Officer in the delivery of services against program and organizational procurement related needs. The post holder will play a key role in documentation of process. S/he will provide targeted support to the emergency unit and ensure their procurement requests are delivered in a timely manner and in adherance to quality standards. The position will also support Head office and Field offices in their transitions to automated systems and decentralized management of procurement functions through capacity strengthening follow up mentoring and support.
Job Responsibility #1: Administration of Procurement Activities (35%)
- Assist the Senior Procurement Officer in the preparation and consolidation of procurement plans.
- Review all requests and purchase orders for completeness and conformance to CARE policies, donors’ regulations and legal requirements.
- Follow up and process purchase requests (PRs) for delivery of procurement services within agreed lead times.
- Assist the Senior Procurement Officer in planning and organizing bid solicitation processes including drafting and issuing: request for quotations (RFQ); requests for information (RFI); requests for expression of interest (EOI); requests for proposals (RFP), and developing bid evaluation criteria.
- Publish procurement advertisements and awards.
- Prepare and issue requests for quotations, receive quotations/ proposals, and prepare bid analysis documents.
- Prepare purchase orders, contract agreements, long term agreements (LTAs), amendments/modifications, etc... for the Senior Procurement Officer’s review and approval.
- Monitor contractor performance, recommending contract modifications when necessary.
- Track the status of requisitions, contracts, and orders. Expedite and ensure timely deliveries of ordered goods, services and works.
- Ensure that procurement related deliverables are achieved on schedule, in accordance with approved specifications and within the allocated budget.
- Ensure inspection and receiving of purchased items upon delivery.
- Process invoices for goods, services, and works delivered ensuring accuracy and completeness of documentation and timely payment. Support communication between suppliers and requesting department promoting transparency and accountability at each stage of the procurement cycle. Ensure that requesting department is informed of the delivery of items in the store/warehouse.
- Process procurement transactions in Oracle People Soft based on the access right provided.
Job Responsibility #2: Documentation and Reporting (20%)
- Document the procurement process and maintain accurate physical and electronic documentation in accordance with CARE record and documentations policies.
- Maintain status reports on procurement activities and prepare weekly procurement status reports and submit to the Senior Procurement Officer. Inform the supervisor about prices and qualities of goods if purchases are not of expected quality.
Job Responsibility #3: Emergency Scale up (15%)
- Lead and coordinate the scale up of emergency response procurement functions and responsibilities.
- Liaise with the Emergency Unit to provide effective procurement and related logistics support (procurement, storage, transportation, distribution) to emergency activities.
- Ensure that procedures within the specific areas of responsibility meet CARE and Donor’s regulations.
- Ensure adequate logistics preparedness through contingency planning and continuous logistics preparedness reviews.
- Ensure proper and timely records and documentations are in place for all logistics transactions in Emergency Response locations as per CARE and Donor’s requirements.
Job Responsibility #4: Roving Procurement Support (15 %)
- Support procurement related staffing gaps due to extended leaves, staff turnover, seasonal high workload, etc… in FO and HO.
- Lead procurement functions in Field offices where the CO is not fully well staffed and structured.
- Conduct procurement spot checks to ensure compliance on high risk procurements.
Job Responsibility #5: Capacity Strengthening (10 %)
- Assist the Senior Procurement Officer in the provision of procurement focused technical support and/or capacity building activities.
- Consult with customers in timely manner to fully understand their procurement requirements; advise and support them as appropriate.
Job Responsibility #6: Other (5%)
- Perform other duties as requested by immediate supervisor.
- Provide input into monthly cash flow forecasts.
III GENDER EQUALITY
- Be observant of any misbehavior regarding gender, and report it to the responsible person.
- Produce sex disaggregated data at HH, community, project, program and organizational level as appropriate.
- Uphold gender and diversity values of CARE whenever dealing with staff, communities and partners.
- 3 years of relevant experience with the first degree
- 2 years of relevant experience plus post graduate degree
- NGO experience is a plus
- Supervisory skill is mandatory for supervisory positions
- Basic supervisory/managerial skills
- Technical and report writing skills
- Computer literate
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Good communication and interpersonal skills