|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 16, 2020|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Who we are
Jakenn Publishing is the media company of the present and the future of Ethiopia. We bring our passion for reporting and independent journalism to tell the stories which matter in the Ethiopia today and the Ethiopia being shaped for tomorrow.
JaKenn is widely known for its flagship publication and web portal Addis Standard. Started as a magazine in 2011, Addis Standard has evolved into the digital platform of choice for breaking news, analysis, and spell-binding commentary about Ethiopia that establishes understanding of happenings beyond your eyes and ears. One of the most followed media brands in Ethiopia on twitter and a solid web presence that has a firm grip on Ethiopia’s rapid political, economic, and social transformation, Addis Standard provides consumers content worthy of their time and attention.
As a young and dynamic company, JaKenn embodies an emerging multicultural Ethiopia where people are valued for their contribution to the development of a democratic and prosperous country. We understand that this means listening to our consumers, employees, and stakeholders in all processes from product development to execution. We value diversity and make an honest effort at providing an inclusive work environment that supports growth, nurtures innovation, and embraces risk taking.
As part of its corporate strengthening efforts to grow audience and deliver content that is independent, factual, and attention-capturing, JaKenn would like to hire a Product Editor (English). This position reports to the Managing Editor and will work with other members of the Editorial team to oversee the development of a new editorial product published in English for JaKenn Publishing.
- Develop the editorial plan for English language products from research, obtaining buy-in, and execution in consultation with the managing editor
- Adapt the in-house style guidelines for this new product; coach reporters and publishers on the in-house style guidelines, requirements, and the editorial policy
- Write stories using proper grammar and following the house style guidelines of JaKenn Publishing while also ensuring they are compelling and professional in style and presentation
- Edit written pieces by reporters and contributors on staff to check for clarity, grammar and overall story presentation
- Rework pieces as requested by the Managing Editor or staff editors and update pieces as needed for ongoing or developing stories
- Arrange and conduct interviews when needed to collect witness statements, get information from experts or individuals involved or work on a lead for a proposed story
- Create relationships with members of the Editor’s Guild of Ethiopia, media stakeholders, potential contributors, public institutions, and other entities to develop access to credible sources for future stories
- Coach and mentor reporters and interns on proper work conduct by inspiring creative storytelling and enforcing standards and guidelines
- A minimum of Bachelors degree in Journalism, Communications, Law, Political Science and International Relations, Economics, Business, and other related degrees that combine current affairs subject matter knowledge with rigorous writing skills from a recognised University with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Masters degree in any of these and related majors desirable.
Experience and skillset
- At least five years of progressive editing experience working in a media company with a heavy focus on digital publishing
- A strong track record of supervising editorial staff and mentoring junior staff to growth
- A stickler for details and non-compromising on content quality and delivery
- Excellent writing and publishing skills in English with the ability to communicate in more than one Ethiopian language strongly desired, excellent writing and speaking skills in English.
- Ability to adapt to changes in a fast-growing company and provide solutions to these growing pains
- Ability to put our audience first in every interaction involving the company and always look out for ways to improve audience growth and increase coverage impact using evidence
- Excellent photography, videography, and social media curation skills
- Ability to adapt to and perform well in a multicultural setting composed of people from different backgrounds and strong opinions
- A steadfast commitment to independent journalism and its role in the democratic transition of Ethiopia
Kindly prepare your updated CV and cover letter in one file and send an email to HR@addisstandard.com using format “reference number- [Firstname] [Secondname]” as the subject line by 23rd April 2020.