|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 7, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat (ReDSS) is a coalition of 14 NGOs working in the search of durable solutions in East Africa. ReDSS Secretariat is hosted by DRC and based in Nairobi with country units in Somalia and Ethiopia. ReDSS is a coordination and information hub that focuses on research and knowledge management, program support, capacity development, learning, and policy dialogue. ReDSS Steering committee is composed of DRC, IRC and NRC. For more information http://www.regionaldss.org/.
The ReDSS Ethiopia Policy and Learning Coordinator will lead in the development, oversight and sharing of learning systems and resources. The position will work closely with ReDSS regional communication and learning coordinator to report and advance learning on durable solutions programing and policy in Ethiopia. This role will work closely with government, UN, and other partners in support of the implementation of a comprehensive refugee response, and in particular, support the work of UNHCR and the National Coordination Unit (NCU) within ARRA.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Support to Ethiopian government institutions and staff
- Support the National Coordination Unit (NCU) by promoting the use of evidence and learning to inform development-oriented solutions for refugees and host communities
- Provide a leading role in ensuring that evidence and learning (existing and newly generated) is readily accessible to all parties – including through pro-active outreach to stakeholders
- Facilitate peer-to-peer learning between ARRA/NCU staff and relevant stakeholders, and provide ongoing support to NCU and other government counterparts
- Serve as a resource for government partners on durable solutions and CRRF-related learning and information in-country being generated, compiled and used by a wide range of partners, as it relates to durable solutions for displacement-affected communities
External representation and coordination
- Represent ReDSS in discussions with a wide range of actors, including senior government stakeholders at the regional level, ReDSS members, UN agencies, donors, and others
- Work closely with UNHCR to support multi-stakeholder, collaborative efforts to comprehensively advance the refugee response
- Mainstream durable solutions in strategic documents produced by the RINGOs, including talking points for high-level missions.
- Update the RINGO and ReDSS Ethiopia members as needed on refugee issues and the CRRF in Ethiopia.
- Participate in assessments and research related to the refugee response in the country
Production and dissemination of learning and information products
- Operationalize and monitor ReDSS Ethiopia research strategy and learning framework and indicators and manage ReDSS learning systems to create, share and apply knowledge
- Compile and synthesise information, manage the production and dissemination of a diverse range of information products, internal and external technical briefs, one pagers and bi monthly update
- Write and produce high quality products such as briefs and resources
- Manage and update learning templates, dissemination and uptake plans, SOPs and calendars of events and trainings
- Work closely with ReDSS counterparts in Jigjiga to document learning from area-based and comprehensive responses at regional levelSupport knowledge sharing, organisation of learning events and trainings
- Facilitate and coordinate knowledge sharing encompassing both real time and longer term lessons learnt processes
- Facilitate and manage preparations for trainings, learning events and workshops to promote cross-learning on issues related to durable solutions, local integration, integrated programming, and other needs identified as knowledge and knowledge management gaps
Manage ReDSS Ethiopia communication and branding tools
- Manage ReDSS Ethiopia web page, and provide and share regular analysis on its use and what to improve
- Support with design of research and learning products
- Maintain ReDSS Ethiopia contact database and manage all communication and visibility components
Grants management and reporting
- Manage the development and revision of funding proposals, budgets and donor reports
- Serve as a deputy to the ReDSS Ethiopia Manager and acting in his absence when required
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
· Master’s degree in a relevant field
· 10 years of experience in similar positions (including 5 years of experience in senior leadership positions) involving information management, learning and communications; requiring analysis and presentation of complex information in a simple and accessible manner
· Extensive experience in working with governmental structures, and an expert within the context of displacement-related issues and the humanitarian / development nexus in Ethiopia
· Experienced in data and information retrieval and management – including its organization for ease of access to a wide range of stakeholders
· Strong reporting and writing skills with proven experience in producing high quality report and communication materials
· Knowledge and experience in budget monitoring responsibilities and managing large and diverse staff
· Strong analytical and writing skills with proven experience in producing high quality external policy and communication materials and ability to handle complex issues
· Solid experience in capacity development of a wide range of actors including adult learning, mentoring and coaching, training of trainers and impact monitoring of capacity development activities
· Excellent coordination, information management, inter-personal and facilitation and communication skills to build trusted relationships with a wide array of humanitarian and development partners, donors, Government agencies, etc.
· Flexibility, proactive engagement, ability to work under pressure and to demonstrate high tolerance for change, complexity and unpredictability
· Fluent in spoken and written English
· Fluency in spoken and written Amharic an advantage
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please note that we receive applications up to August 16, 2020.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.