|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 23, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Program Development Manager works in collaboration with the program Technical unit, Finance, Human Resource and Orbis International and other affiliates to ensure the successful completion and responsiveness to Orbis program development opportunities, coordinates the development of proposals, is responsible for a number of proposal deliverables, and ensures timely submission of proposals. The Program Development Manager also plays a support role in coordinating Orbis positioning activities for new business opportunities. These activities may require travel to the field. The Manager may also assist with general department administrative duties as needed.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The Program Development Manager will be reporting to the Senior Program Director.
This role is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Senior Program Director, the Program Development Manager will have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
Proposal Coordination and Development (70%)
- Prepare concept notes and project proposals including budgets in line with organizational guidelines and priorities.
- To continuously uphold and live the values of Orbis – Commitment, Caring, Accountability, Trust and Excellence.
- Conceive and develop new, innovative program proposals to potential donors within the specified timeframe.
- Coordinate the proposal development process and all internal and external inputs to the proposal, including: – Developing and managing a calendar and outline for the technical and cost proposals
- Coordinating team communications through meetings and email and ensuring clarity of roles and responsibilities of team members
- Collecting and tracking proposal-related information and disseminating information to team members
- Compiling questions to donors
- Communicate with partner organizations about Orbis proposal policies, procedures, standard forms and requirements, and facilitate communications within the proposal team.
- Solicit partner and collaborator input and assist in planning joint business opportunities.
- Contribute to building local partners’ capacity by working with them to complete proposal deliverables
- Coordinate logistics for strategy meetings. Draft management plans, institutional capability, and past performance statements, staffing sections, CVs, and implementation plans as needed
- Facilitate communication between the cost and technical team members to ensure the technical strategy/proposal is integrated with the corresponding cost proposal
- Work with technical team to develop annexes/attachments, diagrams, and figures to meet the requirements of a solicitation and showcase the work of Orbis.
- Collect personnel and technical documents which appear in the annex/attachments. As requested, prepare, and coordinate past performance references and skills matrices. As assigned, responsible for developing organizational charts, results framework, and other graphics and charts
- Coordinate reviews of proposal drafts by internal and external reviewers. Ensure reviewers’ availability and provide background documentation, set up review meetings as needed, and compile comments to deliver to the proposal team. May also be assigned to review drafts for issues of presentation, compliance of response, and responsiveness to bid document
- Responsible for production of the final technical proposal, including proposal formatting using Word and saving proposals in PDF, as well as printing and binding the final document and ensuring the proposal package is complete
- Responsible for ensuring the proposal is complete, compliant, and delivered on time. This includes coordinating with the editor and production staff to ensure copy-edit and formatting of the technical proposal, ensuring and scheduling final sign off, ensuring that all materials are included in the final proposal, managing delivery arrangements through shipping or travel, and ensuring the client acknowledges receipt of the proposal
- Edit selected proposals efficiently in accordance with the Orbis standards
- Proposal Close Out: Organize electronic proposal documents according to Orbis procedure. Coordinate after action review. Update proposal-related materials in Orbis file systems
- Following Notification of Award: Ensure partners, proposed candidates, and the proposal team members are all notified of the proposal result. Coordinate final proposal debrief and compile summary notes, including recommendations for process improvements
- In support of the Technical Strategy Lead, assist in the development of concept papers.
Positioning and Partnership Activities (20%)
- In collaboration with Orbis leadership, contribute to annual and multi-year Program development strategies that leverage Orbis capabilities to identify and win new business opportunities, contributing to financial sustainability across the organization
- Within Orbis target technical, donor, and geographic priorities, serve as a ‘positioning lead’ to identify new business opportunities, ensure up-to-date donor knowledge, and coordinate geographic relationships with Orbis staff, potential partners, and consultants. This includes working collaboratively with designated technical and programs staff to develop and implement intelligence gathering and positioning strategies to strengthen Orbis stature, credibility, and likelihood of winning new business
- Responsible for coordinating and disseminating business intelligence and positioning information, when assigned to a specific country or specific opportunity
- Consider potential opportunities, intelligence, and information from positioning efforts and prepare analysis for specific bid recommendations including internal and external resource needs
- Support field-based Program development activities and preparations for new and follow-on projects, including review of internal and external evaluations of projects. As required, provide direct support to development of field-based proposals
- Assist Orbis to identify partnering opportunities and to establish new institutional partnerships and manage existing ones
- Cultivate relationships with specific partners and coordinate regular communications with strategic partners as necessary.
Capacity Building and Transitional Project Management (10%)
- Build the capacity of other staff in production of proposals and other areas.
- Facilitate project registration with regulatory agencies
- Facilitate startup activities and induction of new team
- Support starts up project implementation until full project take off.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Master Level Degree required in public health, other health sciences, social science and humanity.
- Minimum of 6 years of work experience, with specific experience in international public health program development and management.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to initiate and organize work, establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment, and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality
- Strong interpersonal and English language communication skills; demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff, clients, and consultants
- Excellent research, data analysis/synthesis, and presentation skills
- Skills in persuasive writing and the ability to present technical ideas in a concise way that is relatively free of jargon
- Strong editing skills
- Experience in proposal development desirable
- Knowledge of or interest in proposal management standards
- Strong knowledge of the Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to handle the high stress environment of Program development with diplomacy and a sense of humor
- Demonstrated good judgment and ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and work proactively.
- Availability to travel up to 10%.
- Orbis is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a global organization, we welcome qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds and cultures who reflect the five Orbis values of Trust, Caring, Commitment, Accountability, and Excellence.