|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 1, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The purpose of the Program Manager (PM) position is to provide overall leadership and coordination for ensuring the implementation and accomplishment of the objectives of the EU-Recovery project under his/her responsibility in line with CARE’s vision, goals, and program principles, standards, approaches and Long Range Strategic Plan. In consultation with the supervisor and in collaboration with the program staff she/he develops annual implementation plans and budget, allocates appropriate resources to accomplish the plan, secures qualified staff and ensures that an appropriate monitoring system is in place to track progress and deviations of program implementation. To promote the highest level of staff performance the PM ensures that all supervisors provide coaching and counseling to the program staff. He/she establishes and maintains effective working relationships with key government partners and NGOs working in the same geographic areas.
The EU Recovery Program manager is also expected to closely monitor physical and financial progress of the project, ensure timely supply of project inputs to project site, supervise the management of the field operations of the project at CARE’s operational areas as well as functional supervision for the field activities of the EU Recovery implementation Partner.. Ensures consistency of implementation, strategies and approaches and leads technical coordination of the recovery project across all implementing partner and areas.. The position holder is to maintain and oversee all operational support functions within the Project, including logistics, transport, commodity trucking, warehousing, procurement and administration. This position will be responsible for timely and quality donor report preparation and submission, representing the unit in recover intervention meetings at different level and will closely work with regional level project steering committee. The program manager will do consistent physical and financial status check, adjust/revise plans when necessary and recommend for adjustment/realignment in consultation with program senior staffs such as LDM manager and relevant sector advisors
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Job Responsibility #1: Project Planning, Implementation, Technical Support and networking (40% time)
- Coordinate and lead participatory annual planning, preparation of detail implementation plans (DIP),regular review of work plans and dissemination of the work plan for implementing offices and staffs.
- Closely work with project and partner staffs, government (project steering committee-PSC) and donor representative to regularly check relevance of project plans and when necessary recommend necessary adjustment with in the project objective frameworks.
- Coordinate all project assessments, evaluations and learnings, and disseminate as required.
- Capacitate the Project field teams to mainstream and adopt organizational core values, policies, procedures, working modalities, tools and approaches.
- Work with FOs, partner organization, and government to ensure the project initiatives progressively include communities and local organizations in participatory planning and implementation of the project;
- Undertake regular project visit, facilitate technical expertise field monitoring and supportive supervision, and PSC joint monitoring.
- Facilitate and ensure timely supply of necessary project inputs to project site
- Ensure relevancy ,efficiency, effectiveness and quality of project implementation and adjust, when necessary, implementation approaches and tools.
- Coordinate and ensure proper documentation of project lessons/learnings, progress reports and assessments, monitoring reports and meeting/performance review proceedings.
- Establish and maintain formal and informal communication mechanisms with government, community partners, donors and other stakeholders
- Participate and/or facilitate representation of the project in different relevant forums, meetings and networks.
- Works with the project team to assess current conditions in the field offices and ensure that issues are correctly identified and corrective actions taken when necessary.
Job Responsibility #2: Procurement of Project Commodities and Equipment’s (20% of time)
- Coordinate development of exhaustive annual procurement plan and review periodically to ensure
- Coordinate with procurement staff to establish and maintain a functional procurement and supply chain management system that meets the needs of the EU Recovery Project.
- Coordinate with project and finance staff to ensure timely, effective and accurate procurement takes place for EU Recovery Project.
- Ensure all supplies procured for the EU Recovery Project are properly tracked and marked/identified.
- Ensure that equipment tracking procedures are in place so that EU Recovery Project equipment can be tracked from location and user.
Job Responsibility #3: Administration, HR and Information Management (25% of time)
- Identify and analyze transport requirements in Head Office and Field Offices for the project staff. Oversee fleet management for EU Recovery Project, including vehicle rentals and developing internal vehicle plans
- Oversee costs for vehicle operations (rental, maintenance and fuel) for project to ensure appropriate use of donor funds.
- Work closely with Human Resources to identify Operations personnel requirements for the EU Recovery Project; prepare job descriptions as needed; and oversee recruitment, training and supervision of operations staff for both Head Office and Field Offices
- Ensures CARE’s oversight of EU Recovery Project partners' adherence to Project goals and work plans, compliance with donor regulations and participation in project meetings and trainings.
- Produce performance appraisals for project staff reporting to this position.
- Ensure with the HR manager that the systems used for HR are adapted to the project context to ensure a rapid response while maintaining an acceptable level of accountability.
- Completes all CARE performance management activities including: performance planning, monitoring, and annual performance appraisals. In consultation with the Program Coordinator, Program Director and HR Unit, takes appropriate personnel actions to address problems.
- Ensures that staffs set gender sensitive Annual Performance Objectives (APO), closely follow implementation and track performance for rating accordingly.
- Coordinate with the Administrative Assistant to establish an effective standardized filing system that can provide easy access to information and proper documentation of all EU Recovery project documents and correspondence.
- Work closely with the IT unit to organize the installation of office communications / information management facilities and systems (telephone, fax, computers, e-mail, internet, sat phone) for project unit operations.
Job Responsibility #4: Budgeting and Finance for Project Operations and the partners (10% of time)
- Lead annual budget preparation and regular review of budget utilization against project time elapsed and achieved physical plans
- Closely work with Finance and Sub grant Manger to ensure financial availability from the donor and reports are submitted to the donor
- Work closely with the Finance and Sub-grant Manager to ensure sub grantees are getting timely disbursement and submitting timely financial report
- Monitor the budget utilizations as compared to the project life time and provide feedback to the FOs and the implementing partners
- When necessary do budget realignment and submit for approval
Job Responsibility #5: Perform other duties as assigned (5% of time)
III. PROBLEM SOLVING (Thinking Environment)
- All the three levels of problem solving apply to the incumbent. But category numbers two and three are most applicable to this position because, the incumbent must use interpolative skills to pick and choose the right strategy to address a given problem and also has to deal with variable situations, which need analysis, problem definition and development of alternative solutions.
IV. GENDER EQUALITY
- Understanding and demonstrated commitment to the importance of gender, youth and social inclusion issues.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and PSEAH (safeguarding), as evidenced in previous positions / programming.
I. QUALIFICATIONS (KNOW HOW)
- BSc Degree in Agriculture, Engineering, Natural resource management, rural development or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- MSc/M.A. Degree Rural development, Rural development related Engineering professions, Natural resource management/development, Statistics, , or Development Studies.
- Minimum of Eight years’ experience in development and management of rural livelihoods programs and proven experience leading the implementation of multi sector projects in an integrated approach for the achievement of a common program goal.
- Proven team player committed to upholding CARE’s values and principles
- Demonstrated experience in managing teams and partners, complexity and performance for results
- Solid experience in budget management, administration, supporting and upholding policies, and overseeing and facilitating project implementation
- Experience and knowledge of cross-cutting issues and programming approaches such as RBA, advocacy, community empowerment, gender, conflict resolution , partnership and civil society strengthening.
C. TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Proficiency in verbal and written English ; and Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Concept paper development, operational planning, budget planning and management, monitoring and evaluation, report writing;
- Proficiency in standard office software packages;
- Demonstrated leadership ability to inspire and empower others;
- Demonstrated technical and managerial ability, sound judgment, ability to interact and work effectively with others at all levels;
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, staff safety and security, fairness, transparent and participatory management; and
- Experience in multi-donor funding environment.
Skills in organizing and facilitating training events. Expertise in one or more of the following program areas: food security, nutrition/health, water/sanitation, income generation, natural resources management and conservation especially with Gender & Rights Based Approach focus.
Respect, integrity, diversity, excellence, adaptability, stress tolerance, innovation, building partnership, communicating with impact, coaching, facilitating change, developing teams, information monitoring, planning and organizing, leading through vision and value.
II. CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS
This position will be responsible for working closely with WATER+ teams, Project manager at site and local partners. This will require consistent coordination and communication. The Program Manager is expected to establish and maintain good relations with partners, counterpart GOs and NGOs. S/he will also closely work with other CARE staff, including Program Coordinators, Project Managers, and Program and Operation Mangers.
III. VI. WORKING CONDITIONS AND LEVEL OF TRAVEL REQUIRED
This position is located in Addis Ababa and requires 35% of travel to field offices.
CARE Ethiopia is committed to preventing all unwanted behavior at work. This includes sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse. We expect everyone who works for us to share this commitment by understanding and working within the CARE Safeguarding Policy and related framework. CARE Ethiopia has a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a vulnerable adult or child by any of our staff, representatives or partners.
CARE Ethiopia reserves the right to seek information from job applicants’ current and/or previous employers about incidents of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment the applicant may have been found guilty to have committed or about which an investigation was in the process of being carried out at the time of the termination of the applicant’s employment with that employer.
By submitting the application, the job applicant confirms that s/he has no objection to CARE Ethiopia requesting the information specified above. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested to be part of our dynamic team, exciting work environment and contribute to CARE Ethiopia’s mission and vision, please send your CV (not more than 3 pages) and cover letter (not more than one page) through Ethiojobs
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Passionate and dedicated candidates who meet the requirement are strongly encouraged to apply, especially women!
CARE seeks to improve the lives of the most marginalized, particularly women and girls. Our diversity is our strength. We encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.