|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||February 21, 2021|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Programme Analyst, Communication will be based in the Country Office in Addis Ababa under the supervision of the Programme Analyst Communication (NOB).
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
UNFPA Ethiopia communication unit leads the media, communication and advocacy work in support of the UNFPA’s mission and programmes. He/She will participate in the design, management and implementation of the Country Office communication and publication strategies which are geared to influence the development and humanitarian agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for UNFPA.
The ability of the office to prepare and disseminate reports, briefing materials, multi-media presentations, and manage an UNFPA Ethiopia web site, social media pages and other visibility and advocacy activities depend on building a strong communication team.
Under the overall guidance of the Representative and the direct supervision of the Communication Analyst; he/she will work in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations Teams, Provincial Offices and will maintain relationship with other UN Agencies, UNFPA’s ESA Regional Office, UN Communication Group and the Humanitarian Communication Group ensuring successful UNFPA Ethiopia country office communication strategy implementation.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Provide support to the planning and design of internal and external strategies for communication and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Keeps abreast of the programme development and implementation, and ensures proactive involvement in the design and implementation of communication activities in support of reproductive health, population, gender and humanitarian programmes;
- Promotes innovative and creative approaches in response to the needs of the programme in the area of external relations and social and behavior change communication;
- Contributes and maintains strong media and advocacy networks and relationships, ensuring regular media events, meetings/engagement of UNFPA personnel with key media persons;
- Liaises and coordinate with regional and global communication officers, as well as program staff on communication and advocacy activities;
- Support implementation of the joint UN Communication Strategy
- Prepares timely response to the queries of the media, liaising as necessary with Regional and HQ when sensitive situations arise
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the supervisor or as required by the post
- Ensure the implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Contributes to the production and dissemination of communication and advocacy materials, including brochures, posters, pamphlets, programme and fact sheets, press releases and newsletter;
- Supports the CO publication activities; such as drafting articles; managing content; setting norms for publishing and design; maintaining regular contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure efficient production of media materials and necessary dissemination of materials produced;
- Participates in drafting and dissemination of media statements, speeches and press releases;
- Edit reports/proposals/studies, press releases, speeches to ensure quality, cultural and gender sensitivity and social inclusion and use as resources for advocacy and fund-raising purposes;
- Provide support to the maintenance of the UNFPA web site, social media platforms, CO web-based knowledge management system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Regularly update the website and social media pages of the Country Office
- Provides support on quality assuring UNFPA-supported research, surveys, assessments and reports (annual reports, donor reports, field mission reports, etc);
- Plan and organize travel to locations throughout Ethiopia to gather information, videos and photographs for use in publications and websites;
- Support trainings to other UNFPA national staff on basic communication skills such as writing press releases, news articles for newsletter, talking with media and how to take good pictures of projects and activities;
- Provide support on documentation of good practices and lessons learnt on programmes;
- Support programme implementation and resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organize field missions for visiting donors, partners, journalists etc
- Provides support in timely preparation and response to global, regional and national media and advocacy events linked to all programme areas
- Supports the country office efforts in advocacy and resources mobilization;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching of publication such as the State of World Population and the World Population Day
- Promote and maintain public information campaigns on UNFPA activities such as HIV & AIDS, gender, census, youth activities, humanitarian response, fistula, reproductive health & commodity security, etc.
- Prepare annual budgets, budget revisions and work plans, in consultation with programme officers and management
- Internal work relation: Support programme implementation by working with programme officer to make the UNFPA Country Programme Visible by communicating plans and results
- Work relation: External: Builds and maintains strong media and advocacy networks and relationships, ensuring regular media events, meetings of the Representative with key media persons
Qualifications and Experience
Knowledge and Experience:
An interested and qualified applicant should apply through the link below