|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 8, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Open to Internal & External Candidates
|Position Title||Programme Assistant - Immigration and Border Management / Humanitarian Border Management|
|Duty Station||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment||SVN, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Posting Period||31.08.2020 – 13.09.2020|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM Ethiopia’s Migration Management Unit (MMU) works closely with the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) and supports the effort of GoE in improving migration management and governance. In the field of Immigration and Border Management (IBM), IOM supports the GoE to design and implement strategies and actions aimed at further strengthening the immigration system and border management in the country, while supporting national and regional security, economic development and the protection of migrants’ rights. IOM Ethiopia collaborates with the GoE through various projects and activities implemented under its IBM Capacity Building Programme Framework, which consists of four main areas of action (or pillars):
1) Governance Framework Pillar (development of laws, policies, regulations, and standard operating procedures);
2) Human Resource Development Pillar (design of training strategies and delivery of priority training sessions);
3) Operational Improvement Pillar (development and installation of new systems and technologies); and
4) Cross-Border, Regional and Cross-Regional Coordination Pillar (activities to promote stronger cooperation in immigration and border management)
IOM Ethiopia is recruiting a Programme Assistant - Immigration and Border Management (IBM), whose responsibilities are listed below.
Under the overall supervision of the Migration Management Programme Coordinator and direct supervision of the National Programme Officer- Immigration and Border Management in the IOM Office in Addis Ababa, the successful candidate will provide administrative and logistical assistance to IOM Ethiopia’s IBM programming in general, and act as administrative support focal point for HBM related aspects of the programme in particular.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist the IBM National Programme Officer and IBM Programme Manager in the implementation of IBM activities, in particular as it relates to HBM, with workshop and meeting organization, participation in meetings with project partners, government counterparts, development of work plans, and participation in monitoring and evaluation activities.
2. Organize IBM capacity building activities, including HBM related activities, developing agendas, identifying venues, facilitating invitations, preparing material, completing administrative requirements, facilitating transportation and making logistical arrangements as necessary.
3. Compile, summarize, analyze and present information to the IOM senior management, government officials and donors on IBM related topics, in particular when the topic focuses on HBM.
4. Prepare and deliver project presentations and facilitate training activities on IBM, especially when the focus is on HBM.
5. Liaise with Ethiopia’s Immigration, Nationality & Vital Events Agency (INVEA) to provide logistical support for the coordination of joint-IOM INVEA activities, in particular when they relate to HBM.
6. Contribute to IBM programme reporting and communications work, in particular for HBM activities, by drafting and editing of reports for capacity building events and other project activities, interim donor reports, producing/updating briefing notes, visibility products and project information documents in line with donors’ requirements and IOM guidelines.
7. Undertake duty travel when necessary to support the implementation of project activities under IOM Ethiopia’s IBM programming, and in particular for HBM activities.
8. Perform other such duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in International Relations, International Development, Law, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Human Rights, Business Administration, or other relevant field from an accredited academic institution,
· Five years of relevant professional experience, preferably in administrative and project management support or similar roles
· Experience with international organizations, nongovernmental or governmental institutions
· Experience in, and/or knowledge of, migration, border management, protection of migrant rights, in particular humanitarian border management
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· Knowledge of project implementation and evaluation and familiarity with financial and business administration
· Ability to work in a multi‐cultural environment
· Strong teamwork skills with a capacity to work independently
· Knowledge of migration and immigration institutions and processes is a distinct advantage
· Knowledge of IBM concepts and approaches, including HBM, within Ethiopia and the region is an added advantage
- Fluency in English and Amharic (oral and written).
- Working knowledge of other Ethiopian local languages is an advantage
Values and Competencies
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, by Sep 13, 2020 - the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!