|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 9, 2021|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Programme Assistant – Protection/MRC
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
|Type of Appointment||Special Short Term, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
IOM Ethiopia’s Migration Management Unit (MMU) works closely with the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to improve migration management and governance including countering trafficking in persons (TiP) and smuggling of migrants (SoM) and promoting regular labour migration channels as well as the migration-development nexus. In response to the challenges posed by irregular migration, TiP and SoM, MMU implements programmes with a focus on migrant protection and assistance including assisted voluntary return and reintegration (AVRR), Emergency Migrant Response (EMR), voluntary humanitarian return (VHR), counter-trafficking (CT), humanitarian assistance to migrants in situations of vulnerability. In order to promote better migration governance and to foster the developmental potential of migration, MMU also works on technical cooperation and capacity building of government and non-government stakeholders with migration management mandates, labour migration and human development (LHD), and immigration and border management (IBM).
IOM established Migrant Response Centres (MRCs) to provide direct and lifesaving assistance to migrants stranded in migration transit areas. The MRC also works to build the capacity of the Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia to respond to protection challenges in mixed migration contexts and to establish systems to identify and refer migrants in need of specialized services.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
The candidate will support the Migration Management Unit in designing and implementing MRC initiatives aimed at: upholding the rights of migrants as per the IOM mandate, combatting irregular migration, including human trafficking and smuggling, and promoting the rights of potential migrants in vulnerable communities of origin and transit within Ethiopia. In particular, he/she will:
Under the direct supervision of the Sr. programme Assistant; MRC/protection, and the overall supervision of the National Programme officer: migrant protection, and Migration Management Programme coordinator, the successful candidate will Support the MRC/protection programme aimed at : upholding the rights of migrants as per the IOM mandate, combatting irregular migration, including human trafficking and smuggling, and promoting the rights of migrants. S/he will:
- Support the implementation of livelihood interventions, including identification of the most vulnerable migrants to provide livelihood support and support the migrants in developing business plan in coordination with the field MRC staff
- Assist the development of a standardized approach for all MRC in Ethiopia and provide guidance to relevant staff
- Organize life skill, entrepreneurship and business plan development trainings for migrants returned through the MRCs
- Support the field MRC staff in referring and following up on protection cases; Support the field team to identify the major protection concerns, needs, intervention gaps and coordinate with the protection unit in addressing the identified protection concerns
- Support the MRC data management and compile and ensure timely submission of regular weekly, monthly and annual planning and reports
- Assist MRC field staff in conducting assessment on migrant protection and emerging migration trends
- Support the protection team in organizing trainings on protection areas and other capacity building initiatives.
- Facilitate timely provision of logistics to ensure smooth MRC operation
- Conduct regular follow-up and monitoring visits of livelihood/reintegration activities
- Coordinate and build the capacity of communities to identify community assets, monitor livelihood support, protect migrants and support initiatives aimed at strengthening community structures
- Perform other duties as requested
- University degree in Community development, Management, Sociology development studies, social work or other relevant field is required with five years of relevant professional experience. Master’s degree will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the area of research, reporting, M&E especially within humanitarian or emergency contexts, with a good understanding of donor funded programs and other UN Partners.
- Experience in project management, including conducting base line assessment, tool development, monitoring, report writing, establishing institutional learning system
- Technical skills in qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively and persuasively present information in a variety of settings and formats.
- Familiar with activity monitoring/reporting methods and information management systems.
- Knowledge on return and reintegration of migrants
- Good knowledge of migrant protection and assistance
- Familiarity with project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures.
- Good level of computer literacy, with proficiency in MS Windows / MS Office applications.
- Experience working in international organizations.
- Fluency in English and Amharic (oral and written).
- Working knowledge of other local languages, is an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT by 16th of September 2021, the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email. (Example: Application for Operations Assistant (Field support)-Addis Ababa (IOM-SVN/00105/2021). Photocopies of Educational/training certificates are NOT required at this stage; applicant who doesn’t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!