|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 23, 2020|
|Category|| Facility Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Org. Setting and Reporting
Established by the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations (UN) in 1958 as one of the UN's five regional commissions, ECA's mandate is to promote the economic and social development of its member States, foster intra-regional integration, and promote international cooperation for Africa's development. Made up of 54 member States, and playing a dual role as a regional arm of the UN and as a key component of the African institutional landscape, ECA is well positioned to make unique contributions to address the Continent’s development challenges. The strategic objective of ECA is framed around delivering ideas and actions for an empowered, inclusive and transformed Africa in the framework of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Agenda 2063 of the African Union through its three core functions, namely, its function as a think tank, its convening function and its operational function.
This position is located in the Strategic Planning, Oversight and Results Division of the Economic Commission for Africa. The incumbent will be stationed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Programme Management Officer reports to the Chief, Corporate Policy, Planning, Monitoring and Reporting Section.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies,
- Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Leads and participates in planning and accountability missions and provides guidance to consultants, clients of ECA divisions/SROs and centers, government officials and draft mission summaries and reports.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Establish and maintain relationships with counterparts, senior officers and technical staff in relevant Secretariat units and in UN funds, programs and other UN specialized agencies;
- Representatives and officials in national governments, international organizations, consultants.
- Develops, implements, evaluates, effective leadership and management of major projects and teams; demonstrates timely delivery of outputs in accordance with overall objectives and policies. Plays a lead role in identifying significant issues and develops well-reasoned, innovative approaches to deal with these issues. Serves as an effective spokesperson internally and externally and forms strong partnerships with relevant parties.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to programme monitoring and evaluation in the UN context including development of the Strategic Framework and Programme Budget for UN entities; practical experience in programming development, monitoring and administration; good research, analytical and problem-solving skills, including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of projects and programmes. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research methodologies and sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Expert knowledge of the results based management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in strategic planning development and programme and project design using results framework is desirable.
- Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.