|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 24, 2020|
|Category|| Business Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The non-profit media development organization International Media Support (IMS) is in close cooperation with Fojo Media Institute and other international partners implementing programs to support media reform and assist in the professionalization of journalism and media management in Ethiopia. We are working closely with Ethiopian institutions and media partners. An office in Addis Ababa is soon established, and the Programme Officer for media institutions and law reform will be part of the team initiating and implementing the programs.
The Programme Officer is responsible for identifying, developing, implementing, and documenting program activities to enhance the creation of a solid media reform in Ethiopia with strong public and private institutions securing and self-regulating media.The Programme Officer will in close cooperation with key actors and partners be the IMS and Fojo focal point for capacity and institution building initiatives, as well as creating cooperation and coalitions between the media sector, civil society and civil servants in Ethiopia.
Scope of Work and Main Tasks
The Programme Officer’s tasks will include:
- Liaise and working closely with the identified Ethiopian media partners and consultants, research and academic institutions, media associations, unions, networks, etc. in support of legal reform and institutions building
- Closely work with federal, regional and district level government authorities, local and international NGOs, Universities and research institutions and others to build institutions, promote participatory and inclusive law reform processes.
- Facilitate and lead the development of organizational policies, strategic plans and other frameworks that ensure viability of media institutions in the country and provide technical support to towards the implementation
- Link Ethiopia’s media institutions such as law makers, media council, networks, associations, unions and other relevant actors with regional and global initiatives
- Design, commission and manage legal reform, institutions building related research, studies, reports
- Monitor influential research produced by key donors and institutions relevant to the program´s strategic interest and provide timely written critiques and responses
- Create forums for coalitions building, coordination, information sharing and raising awareness
- Organize workshops, conferences, learning forums, webinars as necessary
- Ensure the adequate linking of local, national and global advocacy issues in a manner that informs IMS-Fojo advocacy at all levels, and ensure coherence of messaging,
- Work under supervision of program management and in close cooperation with local and HQs support functions.
- In cooperation with M&E officer take the lead in monitoring, evaluation, learning and documentation of all activities and outputs for this intervention area
- Write regular reports, articles and update on activities as required
- Develop, promote and adhere to good practices and to agreed systems and procedures across all areas of work.
Duration and location
- This is a full-time position for 1 year with a probation period of 3 months, and with the possibility of extension.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience and IMS policies.
- Starting date: As soon as possible.
Qualifications & Experience
Only candidates with the following requirements will be considered:
- BA/BSC, MA or MSC degree in development or humanitarian studies, Media Studies, Media Management, Journalism, Business Administration, Leadership, Social sciences or a combination of these and other related fields
- At least 5 years of experience in program/management, media capacity building, journalism, Communication for Development, Communication with Communities, Community engagement, humanitarian reporting, or similar areas
- Knowledge of the Ethiopian political and humanitarian context including the roles of different national and international stakeholders, global and regional media development issues and the challenges for free and independent media
- Profound knowledge of and experience in working with the media sector, key actors and players, and understanding of the challenges of the media sector, especially an understanding of the work of humanitarian and development agencies, Refugee frameworks, IDP settings
- Knowledge and profound engagement in gender balance and media inclusion of all age-groups, ethnic groups, socio-demographic groups and communities.
- Proven ability to develop partner skills, mentoring programs, and planning and operating participatory training programs
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to simplify complex concepts both verbally and orally to influence others. Very good skills in English, Amharic, or other languages.
- Ability to work effectively with a range of people from different organizations and backgrounds, including experience in influencing others and organizing advocacy activities
Everyone with the required qualifications and skills is encouraged to apply, regardless of their gender or racial, ethnic, religious, and cultural background.
To apply for this position go to the website https://www.mediasupport.org/about/vacancies/, choose the position that you want to apply and fill out the application form no later than 15th August 2020.
Applications sent through email will not be accepted
Please note, that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for a follow-up interview.