|Location||Atsbi Wonberta district, Tigray, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 31, 2020|
|Category|| Economics |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
WeForest is a fast-growing international non-profit association headquartered in Belgium and with current projects in Brazil, Ethiopia, India, Tanzania, and Zambia. The mission of the organization is to advance innovative, scalable and lasting solutions to restore forest and landscapes for climate, people and planet. We promote scientific evidence for the ways in which forests contribute to climate change mitigation, beyond their impacts as stocks of carbon, by increasing water availability, enhancing local cooling and improve rural livelihood and resilience.
Our aim is to demonstrate, through the restoration of entire regions, that well-planned reforestation can be the solution to today’s biggest challenge: climate change. The organization is promoting Forest and Landscape Restoration best practices, creating a movement, engaging the greatest brands and their millions of customers to act positively. Our activities are growing, and the organization is urgently looking for the best possible talent to reinforce its Ethiopia team.
Ethiopia Desa’a Project
WeForest is active with restoration of fragmented and degraded reminant forests and exclosures in Northern Ethiopia, Tigray since 2016. WeForest has launcehd a huge project “Nurturing sustainable forest management culture in Northern Ethiopia to Benefit Local Communities and the Landscape” in Eastern Tigray locally called ”Desa’a Forest.” The project has two main pillar programs; forest landscape restoration over 38,000 ha and forest dependent community livelihood improvement programs. Desa’a forest which is one of the remaining patches of the few forest areas in Northern Ethiopia, covering an area of about 154,000 ha and located in the wester escarpment of the Great Rift Valley. It is the largest secondary dry Afromontane forest in Tigray and Afar consisting mainly of Juniperus procera and Olea europea.
WeForest is looking for an experienced project assistant, who has good experience in Forest and Landscape Restoration programs and community development works. Working closely with WeForest partner institutions, WeForest team and small holder farmers in project areas. The new project assistant will be responsible to mobilizing communities and achieving WeForest’s FLR program in Desa’a and adjacent villages. She/he will assist mainly the day-to-day activity of the projects in Desa’a forest area. The assistant will provide timely report to WeForest Ethiopia regional office, Mekelle.
General Terms & Conditions
- As soon as possible
Duration of Contract:
- Three years, with possibility of extension, subject to performance and funding availability.
- 3 months
- Competitive package for a small NGO, based on prior experience.
- Full-time, working Monday through Saturday, 44 hours per week.
- Project Manager, Tigray, Ethiopia
- Assist the regional team in facilitating and processing the implementation of livelihood improvement and Forest and Landscape Restoration programs
- Provide support during socio-economic and biophysical data collections
- Work closely with forest-dependent communities and district level stakeholders
- Supervise and assist the field assistant in implementation of project activities at all village levels
- Liaison with WeForest development partners and communities to maintain relationships at district and village level
- Organizing work schedules for field activities with partner institutions and guide the field assistant
- Efficient weekly and quarterly reporting to regional office
- Any other duties assigned.
- Knowledge of Tiregna
- Track record with gender-sensitive participatory approaches
Minimum requirements and qualifications
- Advanced university degree or above in the field of Natural Resource Economics and Management, Soil and Water Conservation, Forestry, rural development or related fields.
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience related to forest restoration, community facilitation, and livelihood programs
- Good communication skills
- Good writing skills
- Experience in data collection and analysis
- Able to implement FLR and livelihood activities and value chains, in collaboration with local stakeholders, farmers, communities and business sectors.
- Teamwork and team spirit.
- Flexible in terms of traveling and living conditions
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full CV and motivation letter until February 9, 2019, mentioning the job title in the subject of the email. Due to the anticipated high number of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We thank you in advance for your interest. WeForest is an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and do not discriminate.