|Date Posted||November 17, 2021|
|Category|| Engineering |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
|Position Title||Project Assistant (Construction site supervision)|
|Type of Appointment||SVN, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
Organizational Context and Scope
IOM Ethiopia’s Migration Management Unit (MMU) works closely with the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to improve migration management and governance including countering trafficking in persons (TiP), smuggling of migrants (SoM) and promoting regular labour migration channels as well as the migration-development nexus.
In response to the challenges posed by irregular migration, TiP and SoM, MMU implements programmes with a focus on migrant protection and assistance including assisted voluntary return and reintegration (AVRR), voluntary humanitarian return (VHR), counter-trafficking (CT), humanitarian assistance to migrants in situations of vulnerability. IOM established Migration Response Centres (MRCs) to provide direct and lifesaving assistance to stranded migrants on five regions in Ethiopia and has been undertaking various construction works in this regard.
Therefore, IOM wishes to recruit a local Project Assistant (Construction site supervision) to work under the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer – Migrants Protection, and the technical supervision of the National Construction Engineer. The incumbent will be expected to support MMU related construction projects in Ethiopia.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
In particular, s/he will be responsible for the following:
- Assist in pre-bid conferences including site visit for prospective bidders as required and bid opening;
- Assist in response to any technical queries by prospective bidders regarding the scope of the works;
- Support in the preparation of regular monitoring reports including progress of work, adequacy of materials used, and details of work done along with measurements to show compliance with the BOQ, design drawings and completion certification;
- Support in monitoring the day-to-day construction activities to verify that the project is progressing as per the plan.
- Support the mission National Construction Engineer in issuing instructions to the contractor(s) and provide supervision to the execution of works;
- Assist in verifying that the construction materials brought to site by the contractor(s) are in accordance with the specifications and are tested as per standard practices and submit reports to supervisors and specific unit;
- Assist supervisors on the construction implementation of different facilities such as buildings, partitions, shelters, irrigation projects, water supply systems, sewerage systems, road construction, electricity supply, telecommunication, and landscaping.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
BSc or MSc Degree in Civil and Structural Engineering or Building Engineering and experience in urban development in insecure, or post conflict environments.
- Five years of relevant professional experience or a combination of training and relevant working experience is a minimum requirement.
- Excellent experience in supervision of construction works;
- Experience in working with international organisations, governmental institutions, and/or aid organizations an asset;
- Anticipates and understands internal and external issues and opportunities that may impact the construction programme landscape of IOM;
- Understanding of Construction management framework approach is considered as an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibilities assigned.
- Knowledge of CAD based applications
- Ability to adapt technical knowledge and expertise to specific project or activities; ability to work with colleagues from different cultural and professional backgrounds; flexibility to perform and deliver in difficult and rapidly changing situations is essential.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of other local languages, is an advantage
Values and Competencies
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, or by November 30, 2021, the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email. (Example: Application for Project Assistant (Construction Site supervision (IOM-SVN/0133/2021) no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!