|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 11, 2022|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Department of Psychiatry at Addis Ababa University has a distinguished history of mental health research. We are currently looking to hire a Project Manager for our new ‘SCOPE’ project (Studying the Contexts of recent Onset Psychoses in Ethiopia to develop interventions to improve outcomes). In SCOPE we will be carrying out a large epidemiological study of people with recent-onset psychosis in rural, urban and homeless populations. Findings will then feed into participatory development and evaluation of interventions to increase early detection and better outcomes for people with psychosis in Ethiopia. SCOPE will be working in the Gurage Zone, Oromia Region and Addis Ababa.
The Role of the Project Co-Ordinator
- The successful applicant will be responsible for co-ordinating the SCOPE project
- Work closely with the Principal Investigator to plan and co-ordinate study activities.
- Prepare activity reports and co-ordinate preparation of financial reports for quarterly reporting to the funder.
- Lead for safeguarding training and development of safeguarding procedures.
- Responsible for ethics protocol submission and processes linked to ethical approval and ethical conduct of the study
- Organise weekly team meetings.
- Support the research co-ordinator/assistants to prepare for field activities, including planning staff activities, utilisation of cars and financial resources.
- Line management of research co-ordinator, research assistants, field co-ordinators, data collectors and other field staff.
- Work closely with the data manager to ensure implementation of all standardized operating procedures for quality data collection and management.
- Contribute to qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Lead the drafting of manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication.
- Liaise with local and international stakeholders to support engagement in the studies.
- Involvement in research dissemination activities.
- Additional tasks as directed by the study investigators.
Terms and conditions
Salary: Negotiable depending on qualifications and experience.
Hours of Work: Are governed by the laws of Ethiopia. However, the nature of the work is such that it might require working overtime and weekends, with due financial compensation.
Holidays: Are governed by the rules of Addis Ababa University for project workers.
Length of Contract: This is a 4 year post subject to six monthly contract renewal.
Probationary Period and Notice Period: There is a three-month probationary period for this role. The notice period is one month.
No. required: One
Terms of employment: Full-time, 4 year post subject to six monthly contract renewal
Reports to: Principal Investigator, SCOPE project
- MSc in health-related or social science-related field, with thesis.
- At least 1 year of work experience in co-ordination of research.
- Knowledge of health research essential.
- Experience co-ordinating and community-based or intervention study an advantage.
- Experience preparing reports for international partners an advantage.
- Experience in working with international collaborators is essential.
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Experience with both qualitative and quantitative research methods and data analysis.
- Strong computer program literacy and knowledge.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Well organised.
- A high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work with others, including international collaborators
- Excellent communication and organizational skills