|Date Posted||September 20, 2020|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Contract |
In Ethiopia, DCA works to save lives through humanitarian action, build strong and resilient communities, and fight injustice and inequality.
DCA has been supporting food insecure communities in Ethiopia with humanitarian assistance and long-term development since the mid-1970s through local churches and faith-based organizations and has been legally registered in the country since 2004. DCA Ethiopia’s modality of implementation is a combination of co- and self- implementation and working with local partners and like-minded INGOs in consortia. It has an office in Addis Ababa and 4 field offices in Amhara, Oromia, Gambella and Afar regions. The country programme has 3 thematic areas:
1. Community Development with focus on Women Empowerment
2. Resilience Building and Livelihood
3. Humanitarian action
About the Job
Dan Church Aid (DCA) in consortium with Mercy Corps is about to launch a project called “Resilient, Incomes through System Strengthening in Gambella Region (RISING)” with financial support obtained from WFP. The project will work towards improving rain fed crop production through expansion of improved technologies, development of small scale irrigation scheme, improving livestock productivity and promotion of social cohesion and peace building. The project will focus on refugees in Jewi Refugee Camp and host communities in Gambella Zuria woreda of Gambella Region.
The project coordinator will oversee providing overall leadership and oversight of the project including planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and budget management. He/She will be based in Gambella and will report to the Senior Programme Coordinator. The Project Coordinator will take active part in planning, design, construction, and implementation of gravitational irrigation scheme with the best satisfaction of the community without compromising the desired quality and service value.
Moreover, the Coordinator will manage and provide technical support concerning irrigation techniques, practice and water management to beneficiaries who will produce different crops after the establishment of the irrigation scheme. In addition, He/She will coordinate the overall project implementation including activities aimed at improving crop production under rain fed condition, improving livestock service provided by government sector offices and social cohesion and peace building activities.
Vacancy Number: DCA-Eth/VA-04/2020
Vacancy Date: September 16,2020
Number Required: One
Duration: Until 31 October 2021
Reporting to: Senior Programme Coordinator
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Roles and Responsibilities
Planning and Implementation
- Undertake technical, managerial and financial planning of the project and liaises with the relevant units at the Country Office.
- Follow up on planning and implementation of irrigation construction undertakings and regularly review and monitor the performance of construction companies for compliance with the contract agreements they entered with DCA, including assessment of the construction work quality
- Ensure quality of plan, design, and construction of irrigation scheme civil works including canals and ditches, water supply, return flow and other factors affecting irrigation requirements.
- Ensure that the irrigation development scheme and other project activities are performed with in the given time frame and budget allocated while respecting the quality aspects
- Coordinate overall implementation, monitoring and evaluation of RISING project and manage the project staff.
- Ensure all interventions implementation adhere to DCAs policies specially gender, accountability and transparency standards
- Provide training to beneficiaries and relevant government offices on small scale irrigation principles and practices
- Oversee and support the implementation of peace building and social cohesion activities of the project.
- Will be responsible for full budget management, regular review of budget and undertake amendments as required.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Undertake frequent Monitoring and Evaluation of the overall construction of irrigation scheme and other livelihoods and peace activities of the RISING project.
- Document learning from overall implemented projects and share for others across the organization
- Take part in small scale irrigation knowledge, attitude and practice (KAP) surveys and project evaluation in data collection, data entry, analysis and reporting to evaluate the impact of overall project.
- Supporting the monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management of all relevant activities within his/her component and cooperation with the overall DCA’s M&E and knowledge management.
Coordination and networking
- Liaise with Government sector offices, institutes and other relevant actors and stakeholders
- Establish good working relationships with DCA projects in the area, DCA staff, government bodies and other stakeholders
- Communicate effectively and on time with DCA, project partners and all relevant stakeholders with relevant means
- Participate on relevant refugee and host community platforms.
- Represent DCA and the project on different platforms.
- Work closely with and report directly to DCA senior program coordinator
Reporting and Accountability
- Prepare weekly, Bi-weekly, monthly, quarter and annual report.
- Ensure that project participants and stakeholders have clear information about the project activities as appropriate and relevant to them.
- Plans, implements and documents meetings, workshops, seminars and other capacity development measures
- Provides information and any other support needed by the Monitoring, Evaluation and Knowledge Management section
- Make sure proper complaint and feedback mechanism is in place.
- B.sc in irrigation engineering or Ag-ro engineering with minimum of four years managerial experience in irrigation scheme establishment or development in INGOs in rural and remote areas in Ethiopia
- Master’s degree in irrigation engineering or Ag-ro engineering with a minimum of two years of the same the same experience.
- Experience working as irrigation agronomist / agronomist
- Excellent written and spoken English language
- Experience in providing training and capacity building for staff
- Ability to understand and respect the cultural, religious and political environment and to work well with staff and local authorities in a diplomatic manner.
- Project management experience and ability to conduct technical and financial planning of operations.
How to apply: Interested and qualified applicants should apply for the post via the below link.
DCA is an equal opportunity employer and all interested candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of age, race, gender, marital status, and religious, political, or ethnic affiliation. Please do not mention your religious or ethnic affiliation in your application.