|Date Posted||June 11, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
June 04, 2021
Post Title: Project Coordinator
Reports to: Education Program Coordinator
Duty Station: Somali Regional State, Jigjiga
Salary: As per the organization scale
Duration: Eight months
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities - regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Jigjiga, Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, GG and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa, Awra and Gulina; Oromia regional State, West Harergeye, Chiro and Meayso Woredas and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us
The Project Coordinator is primarily assigned to manage the implementation of the project entitled “Enhancing Peaceful Co-Existence in Somali and Oromia Adjacent Areas” which is funded by UNHCR. This project seeks to contribute to efforts made in peaceful co-existence in Ethiopia in general and Somali and Oromia regional states in particular – contributing to the ‘Protection with Mixed Solution’ goal of UNHCR. The project will focus on bordering woredas of Somali and Oromia regions – Meisso, and Liben zones in Somali and West Hararghe and Guji Zones in Oromia. The project will deliver various activities: a. to strengthen customary institutions; b. to build capacity of government public servants, youth and women groups; and c. to promote trauma healing through involving influential leaders from government and customary institutions.
Under the supervision of the Education Programme Coordinator in Ethiopia, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for quality delivery and monitoring of the Peace building initiative in Ethiopia. He/she shall ensure that projects plans are in place and kept updated as per the objectives of the project; and that Peace building and conflict sensitivity activities are implemented in line with the overall country Programme. The position also manages/oversees the implementation of the peace building project and staffs. The Coordinator will be based in Jigjiga and frequently travel to project areas to effectively run the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Key results areas
1. Strategic planning and Programme Development
· Assist in the development and implementation of the peace building & conflict Sensitivity Project.
· Contribute to internal discussions on thematic issues particularly on peace building and conflict resolution
· Contribute to further develop, and deepen understanding of peace building and conflict sensitivity thematic issues and approaches.
· Participate in sector project concept and proposal development based on the identified need
· Making sure that long term funding are secured from UNHCR through developing similar projects for coming year
2. Project Planning and Implementation
· Provide quality leadership in the overall coordination and management of the peace building project
· Organize and participate in workshops, needs assessments, consultations, planning sessions and provide technical inputs as necessary
· Help ensure that project activities are implemented in line with the three objectives of project
· Identify the capacity gaps and requirements of key stakeholders in relation to peacebuilding and conduct capacity building trainings
· Develop relations with partners and work towards the enhancement of customary institutions and partner organizations through the: – development of understanding and capacity of partner organizations to implement peacebuilding activities;
· Mentor and coach team members as they perform their duties
· Effectively manage staff hired for this project according to IR HR manual
· Effectively manage the budget utilization of the project
· Contribute to effective communication and reporting on IR project activities in the field
· Oversee periodic technical reviews and manage changes in programme direction and focus
· Make ensure Protection, Safeguarding and Inclusivity are mainstreamed in the course of program operation
3. Programme Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL)
· Conduct frequent supervision and monitoring visits to project areas and identify any issues needing attention related to implementation, donor compliance and programme quality standards.
· Facilitate and conduct mandatory project joint performance monitoring with UNHCR and other government partners
· Take responsibility for the implementation of learning and recommendations from external or internal reviews and donor feedback.
· Take responsibility for development of detailed coasted work plans at the start of the project and ensure monthly updates are made to the output databases.
· Working with the M&E unit and the Program Development and Quality Assurance function, plan baseline and end line surveys and external evaluations, if any.
· Ensure that beneficiaries have access to feedback mechanisms and that data is monitored and responses given within appropriate time periods.
4. Coordination and Networking
· In consultation with Programme Manager, represent IRE at meetings, seminars, coordination forum, taskforce meeting and other events.
· Regularly attend and represent IR in Protection cluster monthly meeting at region
· Ensure good collaboration and working relationship with government and other relevant partners.
· Create appropriate links, working procedures and information sharing with the
· A Master’s degree in International Relations, Development Studies or a related social science discipline (or equivalent experience)
· At least five years’ experience of project implementation, including engagement with several actors – civil society, governments or specialist networks
· A good understanding of intervention areas, particularly in terms of key political, social and economic issues
· A good knowledge of the discourse on Somali and Oromia regions engagement in fragile societies and the implications that this has for conflict prevention, peace-building and related issues
· An excellent knowledge of the discourse on security and security sector development, community security, human rights & conflict prevention.
· Excellent diplomacy and interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a non-partisan manner, appreciating gender, cultural and ethnic diversity
· Ability to work individually, but also with experience of working effectively as part of a team
· Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively with attention to detail and an orderly approach to tasks
· Strong research and analytical skills, including developing research methodology, analyzing research findings and drafting reports and briefings
· Fluency in English, Somali and Oromiffa languages (written and spoken), mandatory
Special Skills, Aptitude or Personality Requirements:
· Must have a ‘hands on’, practical mentality, be self-driven and very motivated.
· Must be well organized.
· Able to take initiative and work independently.
· Very high attention to detail.
· Cultural and political sensitivity.
· Must be flexible and willing to adapt to a fluid situation.
· Strong written and verbal communications skills and good command of English.
· Good interpersonal skills.
· Experience of working in Somali and Oromia regions.
· Willing to travel to the remote areas of Somali and Oromia regions.
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is June 18, 2021.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.